cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF Series Scanner not recognized after Windows 10 patch

pagjsp
Contributor

Around the second week in July we started having issues where our ImageClass MF247dw, MF267dw, and others would hang during a scan job to the connected computer, and eventually time out. I've followed all the recommended fixes I can find, and still several of the effected pc's have this problem on a daily basis, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall the printer/scanner again before they will function. Has anyone been tracking this, and has someone found a fix yet? Included are a couple of links explaining the problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-warns-windows-10-usb-printing-breaks-due-t...

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-update-breaks-usb-printers-functionality-because-of-course...

https://askgarth.com/blog/canon-scanner-unable-to-open-twain-source/

14 REPLIES 14

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Pagjsp,

We would be happy to assist further with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666.

1. Are you able to scan from the MF scan utility installed on the computer? If not, do you get any specific error messages?
  2. Are you connecting via USB or is it over a network?

Yes, we are able to scan using the utility, and even the scan buttons, when the computer recognizes the scanner/printer. And they are both (effects 2 workstations) connected via usb. I'm having to uninstall/reinstall the Canon MF scanner/printers probably 2 or 3 times a week. Since this was apparently caused by a bad Microsoft patch, I was just wondering if Canon had gotten with Microsoft to find a fix, or come up with a permanent fix of their own?

Hector - Anything new on this? Haven't heard a word from you since my last post.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Pagjsp,

If you are able to scan from the utility and the devices are connected via USB, you can try restarting the Windows Image Acquisition service on the computer to see if it starts working instead of reinstalling the drivers.

1. You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in services.msc and click OK.
  2. In the list of services, highlight the WIA service.
  3. Click on restart at the top of the window.

If that does not resolve the issue, you can try turning off any security software that is running on the computer and trying to scan again.

If you continue to have the same issue after restarting the WIA service, I would suggest contacting support over the phone so they can check what service or connection is dropping and causing that issue.

pagjsp
Contributor

Hector - Thanks, I'll try that in the morning. Out of the (3) Windows 10 workstations that scan on a daily basis, (2) of those have been behaving normally of late, and just the (1) is still having issues on a daily basis. I wish Microsoft would address this, but sadly I have seen no evidence of that. Thanks again.

1/12/23 Update - Still fighting this every morning. The only thing that works every time is go into Device Manager, Imaging Devices, and uninstall the Canon scanner (making sure to check the box to delete the drivers) and then reinstalling the drivers for the Canon device. 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

If all 3 of the computers have the same version of Windows and only 1 computer still has the issue, I would suggest downloading the latest version of the drivers From our Canon USA support page and installing it on the computer with the issue or trying another USB cable/port to see if it resolves the problem. 

Hector - Thanks, but I've done that already. Honestly, all signs point to a Microsoft patch causing this, and if Canon hasn't specifically identified the problem and come up with a fix of their own, all the standard troubleshooting steps in the world probably won't fix it for everyone. Thanks anyway though.

Well, hate to "beat a dead horse" but this last Patch Tuesday, this happened again. We have (4) users with MF240 series printer/scanners and every one of them says "Connect the Computer" when using the scan button, and the MF Scan utility doesn't recognize the scanner either. What I have done is 1) Completely remove the Canon drivers from Control Panel/Programs and Features and 2) Reboot the computer and 3) Reinstall the Canon drivers. After a few minutes, the scanner works from the scan button on the device, as well as the MF Scan utility.

I did this on (1) of the effected machines last night, but had to do it again on this same machine, and the other (3) this morning. Surely Canon has received some other inquiries on this by now?

Announcements