cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageCLASS MF656Cdw paper/tray settings present constant error message

singingzoologis
Contributor

I have a new ImageClass MF656Cdw printer and it simply will not print without me clearing a tray/paper error message. I have tried:

1) installing the drivers that came on the CD with the printer

2) changing the print settings on my PC

3) changing the paper settings on the Printer's touch screen (I don't know exactly what weight paper I have loaded but I've tried various settings for light, medium and heavy, letter paper).

4) YouTube

5) This forum

Yes, I can get this to print if I go and clear the error message but it's an annoyance I'm sure someone here knows how to save my sanity. Thanks in advance! 

23 REPLIES 23

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes.  You can turn it on there as well.  The printer prompts you for this and, connecting to a network, performing a Color Calibration, setting the default paper type etc. the very first time it is powered on.  While some parts are optional, some of the options have to be acknowledged or set to use the device.  Strange how you don't seem to have these items set from the get go.  

Are you using USB or connected to a network via ethernet or wireless?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

singingzoologis
Contributor

I am using both USB and WiFi so if there's a way that's best or preferred, I can do it that way. 

I did get the color calibration option when I set up and I did that. I think I accidentally dismissed the Remote UI prompt (that touch screen is pretty crappy). 

singingzoologis
Contributor

Here's a bit of weirdness that might help our diagnosis: I just printed from another computer and it worked fine; no problem with the tray/paper. This would indicate that there's something on my main computer that is amiss I think...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Agree.  Its likely that you don't have the full drivers package installed based on what you see compared to mine.  

This model printer can actually be used with two connections simultaneously (USB and ethernet or wireless) but I don't recommend it.  I only advise best practice (which is one connection type).  If done correctly, it only has to be done once.  Things can change, devices can come and go, but the printer and its configuration is persistent and doesn't change. 

If I may guess, the PC that is connected via USB is the one having issues?      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That is correct, but it does it when printing via WiFi too. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Evening,

One ting you don't want to do is have multiple instances of a printer each with its own connection type (interface).  That leads to frustration. 

Since you have a wireless connection established, let get the printer reinstalled on the device which isn't working.

Start by disconnecting the device from USB

Next visit Control Panel > Device and Printers and right click on any or all instances of the printer, select remove from the context menu.

shadowsports_0-1710995022636.png

Now open Control Panel > Programs and Features

Uninstall anything that has to do with the printer:

shadowsports_1-1710995106304.png

Restart your computer.

Optional.  Its a good idea to assign the printer a static IP on your network.  This is done on your router.  Its optional, but I recommend it.  Note my printer is assigned 192.168.1.99 (example)  Yours will be different depending on brand, etc.  Note the IP address assigned by the router to your printer, you'll use later.

shadowsports_0-1710859716535.png

Now visit the support portal for the 656.

Canon Support for Color imageCLASS MF656Cdw | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Software and Drivers, select Windows > Windows 10

Download this and run.  Say yes when it prompts you to make changes to the windows firewall

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMTIzMzAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Now download and run this:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjg2NTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

You will now have the MF Drivers, MF Scan Utility and ScanGear.  Everything you need to print and scan.  If you leave the Fax checkbox marked when you install the MF Drivers, it will install the Fax drivers too.  I don't use these, but it won't hurt.  If you connect a phone line to the printer., it will let you fax with or without drivers.  😃

Printer should be happy now.  You can use the IP assigned by the router to access the Remote UI.  Just open a browser and enter the IP.  Whatever your is.

shadowsports_2-1710996126607.png

Test printing from tray1  Good Luck 😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

singingzoologis
Contributor

Well, what do you know--we have liftoff! I appreciate all your help and I'm embarrassed that it was just an "uninstall and reinstall" the drivers solution. I wasn't able to set a static IP address because I couldn't get logged into my router but I guess I'll just have to reset that. 

Thanks again, kind soul and I'll buy you a beer if ever we meet 😉

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

I'm glad I could help and things worked out.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

singingzoologis
Contributor

Well, it worked for a day. It's back. Do you know if there's a way I can contact someone with Canon so I don't have to just depend on goodwill of strangers? 

Let me know if you find a solution.  I'm having the same issue.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements