cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Canon ImageCLASS MF753cdw is asleep I can't print

dvogt
Apprentice

I am running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1

If the printer goes to sleep I have to physically get up to wake it up.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from here dated 7/5/2023

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf753cdw#idReference%3Dsoftware-drivers

Does anyone know how to solve this problem.

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

Is the printer set up to use AirPrint (wireless) or do you have a wired connection from it to your Mac?

While I don't have the 753, I have the 653 connected to my WiFi network (no wired connection).  It was asleep and woke up correctly when printing a document on my Mac from Pages.

The only time I had to first wake the printer was when using an iPhone for the first time to print to it.  i.e. the iPhone had to first discover the new printer.  But once it did that initial discovery, future prints could be done from those devices with the printer being in sleep mode.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

We have had the printer for over two months now. As Ricky mentioned, the iPhone can never use the printer because it is always asleep and, therefore, not discoverable.

For printing. You can print from MacOS, but you have to walk over to the printer and wake it up for the printing to start. My Mac is hardwired to the network, the printer is on wireless. Sometimes the printer falls asleep between document prints. That means you can put 3 in the queue, the first two will print and then it will fall asleep before it finishes. 

The printer is in my office, so although a pain, not nearly as painful as my husband, who's office is downstairs!! 

The prints are gorgeous. But honestly, probably would never ever buy a canon if this cant get fixed.

Not sure if this applies as I'm on windows and my MF753 is setup wireless. I don't print a lot, but every time I do it wakes up fine, prints and goes back you sleep. How far is the printer from the router, you may need a wifi booster or try a different channel on the router.

I'd download a wifi tester on your phone and test for strength and noise.

pinthea
Contributor

The recommendation is not to just use AirPrint when you're using your Mac.  Download the drivers from Canon's website and use them instead.  Also the recommendation is to go into the printer's settings and turn off WiFi power management for the wireless network adapter.  I have done both and will check to see if it makes a lick of difference.  I also have my printer using a static IP address and will physically connect it to the router as soon as I can find that spare ethernet cable (at which point the WiFi power management settings should be a moot point).

Announcements