cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Two-Sided/Duplex Printing per Job | MF656CDW/MF650C & Sonoma macOS

monorailmedic
Contributor

Using a mac running Sonoma (macOS 14.2.1) I don't seem to have an option as to whether I want to print two-sided or not.  I've dug through the dialogs and it's just not there, or at least that I've found.

How can I choose, without changing the system defaults, whether I want to print on one side or both?

• I am running the MF656CDW driver v10.19.16 (manually installed and selected)
  • Initially it only printed double sided (still with no per-job option), but I changed that by going to Printers & Scanners > MF650C >  Options & Supplies > Options > 2-sided Printing.  This works, but needing to change this somewhat deep setting on a per-job basis seems strange.
  • The option is absent in both application print dialogs and the system print dialog.
  • I found enabling "generic printer features" in the system settings for the printer created a two-sided option under Finishing, rather deep in the print dialog - but it does nothing.  It defaulted to two-sided but printing like this resulted in a one-sided job, so that's out.
  • In the attached screenshot you see the system dialog missing the option - and I've checked in each expansion and deeper setting within.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 01.40.51.png

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

What applications are you printing from? While I'm using a different laser printer with macOS Sonoma (imageCLASS MF653Cdw), when viewing print settings in Pages, Keynote, Preview, Mail, TextEdit, Photoshop, Illustrator, I see the double-sided option.

I didn't check all my software, but from that list, that's a very good representation.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I've checked the application print options in Chrome, Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop (so I think Photoshop is the only overlap there) and the option isn't there.  More importantly, however, it's not in the system print UI (where in an application, you can select an option like "printer" or "print using system dialog") to see the settings that are independent of the application you're printing from.  No 2-sided option in any of those.

What paper size are you using?  About the only thing I see in the User Manual is that automatic 2-sided printing won't be available for certain paper sizes.  See pages 630 to 632.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

US 8.5x11

I'm thinking I should reinstall the driver. Any recommendations there? I usually I used whatever loaded by default, but when the printer went to sleep I couldn't print to it. I manually loaded the driver to resolve that (per a post found somewhere...maybe here, I forget). 

Announcements