cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full or factory reset MF644cdw

Sasquatchn
Apprentice

HI,

I just set up the printer and cannot find where I wrote down the system manager ID and Pin.  I have no idea what it is.  I do have the user pin and am able to log in to the UI.  There is no way to reset the system manager info with the user mode.  I can't even get to system settings on the device because I don't know the manager ID and Pin.  Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the system manager info or the machine to factory settings so I can go through the setup again? It's a Canon MF644cdw. I currently have it connected with cat5 to router.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The factory default System Manager ID and password is 7654321 for both ID and password.  If this was changed, you need to call Canon.  They can provide steps to reset the printer.  Please contact their Desktop Printing and Imaging Solutions Department at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. I was hoping not to have to deal with tech support.  I did change the default but lost my notes when setting up.

Audrey
Enthusiast

Hi Sasquatchn,

Welcome to The Canon Forums!

The System Manager ID and Pin can only be reset by our technical support team. Our support is available at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The System Manager ID and Pin can only be reset by our technical support team.

Just as feedback for Canon - I represent a small managed service provider and as long as this is Canon's position I'm suggesting that none of my clients purchase Canon print/copy devices.

I have to agree with you - I had prefered Samsung printers prior to HP buying them up - I've had a hate-hate relationship with HP and never before found printers as closed off as Canon outside of HP. Sure every company was angling to sell proprietary toner and ink at 3 x the price - but Samsung was easy to work on.

Canon - not so much. The password accounts are a nightmare, the settings menu is nearly undecipherable for a new user (you really have to go through the manual which you have to print off using another printer in order to understand the issues that first present. It is as if they require you to understand THEIR LOGIC FLOW in order to print properly.

If I had known all the issues that present each and every time you try a new (and now, 1 year in - needing to perform a factory reset and finally upgrade firmware) function, I'd have never bought the beast. If functions as a decent scanner copier without much issue - but the rest of it? PDFs are screwy, only recognizes DOCX and PDF to print via wifi, it is painful. Add the double the price of the laser toner cartridges - Canon is a real brick of a printer company.

ipfn
Apprentice

1. Press the HOME button.

2. Press in between the home button and the sleep button to its left (in the blank space between them).

3. Press in between the home button and the stop button to its right (in the blank space).

4. Press the physical sound button to the left of the speaker icon (around the corner of the bezel, on the left of the display unit).

5. Press the stop button to the right of the home button.

You will be in service mode.  Press "COPIER" then "FUNCTION" then "CLEAR" then "CLEAR ALL".

Confirm.

All settings, including passwords, will now be reset to factory defaults.

Canon: THIS INFORMATION SHOULD BE IN THE MANUAL.  Like the other poster I too am now strongly advising everyone in my department to avoid Canon products, especially printers.

You're a life saver! Thank you so much. The fact that this isn't in the manuals is proof this company doesn't care about their customers

Unfortunately this sequence no longer seems to work. Possibly as a result of the latest firmware update. Which coincidentally may also be the cause of the sudden inability to print envelopes.

Announcements