cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just ruin my brand new imageCLASS MF654Cdw? MICA ink toner

AtxSoccermom
Apprentice

Hello, I’m a newbie to this site and to owning my first fancy printer. I started a small business and needed something to print out bank deposit rebates and so forth. I may have made a rookie error by purchasing MICA ink toner instead of buying a cartridge. I followed the instructions on the product guidelines and now my printer is printing grainy, colors are disproportionate, and worried I may have gotten some of magnetic toner inside beyond the eye scope. I did everything correct but thinking that I may have over filled I went ahead to reopened the sealed the small circular compartments that was used to extract the prior ink and replaced with MICA ink. Doing so to the bottom area to remove excess from there as well, but then remembered that there’s a toner percentage gauge. I look like I had  my booking at the downtown Austin police station for booking, covered in black ink. When looking within the dark space without taking the thing apart, I can’t see anything but was able to squeeze my hand inside with a gentle micro fiber cloth and grazed the bottom film and when I when I removed my hand to look, I saw I collect some toner on the cloth. I was very gentle when I did the deed but I’m wondering if I just violated my printer and if she’s beyond repair…Would anyone be able to lend some Canon neighborly trouble shooting advice? I’m needing this up and running by the weekend and I’m afraid if I don’t get any solid direction on what to do now other than YouTube…I fear my ship is going to sink. 🫠 Sincerely and very much appreciated for anyone’s time to comment on my post. Thank you! 

AtxSoccerMom 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

What is the full model number of your printer?

Image class MF645cx?  If so, it uses 054 toner.

I recommend you take whatever you put in out, and use OEM toner cartridges.  This is going to provide the best results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

What is the full model number of your printer?

Image class MF645cx?  If so, it uses 054 toner.

I recommend you take whatever you put in out, and use OEM toner cartridges.  This is going to provide the best results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi there, ok so I have the Image Class 654MF654Cdw and Cartridge size 067. 

I thought I did enough research and was convinced that this option was safe and everything should be fine. But apparently something may have gone wrong that I missed. I’ll be briefing with IT today. They had closed up shop when I dialed in prior to submitting this post. But I’m eager to know anyone who had a similar experience and saw light at the end of the tunnel or if if they watched hundreds of dollars slipping between their fingers lost.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the follow up information.  It might be best to purchase a dedicated magnetic ink printer that it just used for checks, etc.  Then keep your MF654Cdw for general office duties (printing, scanning, etc).

Check with Canon Sales and see if they have a product recommendation.  Canon Sales 800-385-2155

You can also consider buying directly from your financial institution.  While it costs a little more, you will get support, a warranty and ensure the documents you are submitting will be accepted (compatible) with your financial institution.  I might ask them to see what they recommend.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements