cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Satin Photo Paper 240 - paper defect

indigoimagelab
Contributor

I print on an ImagePROGRAF Pro-4000, using Canon Satin Photo Paper 240 gsm, using 17"x100' and 42"x100' paper rolls that have been defective lately.

On the last three rolls of this paper of both sizes, there's a paper defect. After about 70-75% of the roll is used up, there appear 1/2" bands on the paper that affect the paper's surface gloss. The bands run all the way across the paper, parallel to the core. They repeat once per roll diameter. The result is the appearance of visible bands running across the paper that are more noticeable with dark colors.

Here's what it looks like. 

canonpaperdefect.jpg

These bands appear when light is reflected in the paper. For example, if you have the print on a table with fluorescent lights above the table, the bands appear and disappear as you move your view, as the reflection of the overhead lights moves across the paper.

This defect of repeating bands or lines of different gloss levels makes the prints unsuitable to ship to my clients. They look like either dark or light bands and appear as a defect.

The problem is NOT the printhead or the ink. The problem is a defect in the gloss of the paper. The result is that I have to throw out about 20 feet of paper for every roll because of the paper defect. This has happened over the past six months with two 42"x100' rolls of paper and also on one 17"x100' roll of paper. Has anyone else gone through this? I'm going to have to switch to Epson paper if Canon doesn't do some better quality control on their paper.

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.
1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is a user supported forum. We cannot address product problems like that.

You should give Canon support a call. 1-800-OK-CANON in the US.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements