cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF733CDW email to Print Issue

Meghan2000
Apprentice

Hi,

I setup my printer for "email to print" so I can email a PDF or DOC file to the printer and have it printed. I setup the POP and SMTP accounts properly and created a special printer email address on my email server, and verified that I can Scan and send to an external email. However when I send a PDF to the printer via the printer email address, the email and PDF is received - I can see it in the Rx Job Log of the web UI - but it does not print and shows an Error Code #818 which is:  "The received data is not in a printable file format". According to the "remedy" for this I am supposed to "Ask the sender to change the file format and resend the data".  This does not make sense since it is a PDF which is an acceptable format. I verified that the PDF is not corrupted and also sent a PDF as an attachment from several different email accounts, all with the same error.

Help Please!!!  I need this to work and can't find any answers on the web. Has anyone got this to work?

Thanks!

Meghan

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Mehgan,

What OS (Windows or MAC, version and build) are you using the printer with?

More importantly, what application or program are you using to create .PDF's with?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Using Windows 10 to send the email to the printer. The PDF was created using Microsoft Word using Microsoft Print to PDF driver. I think I know what you are getting at - I'll try it with a PDF that was created by something else.

Thanks!

M

Unfortunately.... that did not work. I tried different PDF files from different sources, a DOCX file, a JPG. All of them when received at the printer give me this code #818. Also tried sending the file from two different email clients, but no luck.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Lets try a different way.  Here is a link to the Printer's User Guide.  Please point me to the feature you are trying to use:

Canon - imageCLASS MF735Cdw / MF733Cdw / MF731Cdw / MF634Cdw / MF632Cdw - User's Guide (Product Manu...

Here is a .PDF version of the same guide of that is easier.

imageCLASS MF735Cdw / MF733Cdw / MF731Cdw / MF634Cdw / MF632Cdw User's Guide (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick

The links you sent me don't provide any details of setting up email to print. This one does:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-1738-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS735_setup_0050.html

As mentioned earlier, the printer is receiving the file fine via email. And I can also scan to email fine. So the POP and SMTP settings are correct. For some reason it just does not seem to recognize the file

btparas
Apprentice

I too have this problem for the iR ADV C5535 and iR ADV 8595 printers. After setting up E-mail and i-Fax on the machines, one out of five emails with single TIFF attachments will fail to print (Job log will show Error #818 or #821).

Background and Details:

We use a fax service (Faxage) that handles our incoming faxes.  This service is configured to email faxed documents after converting them to TIFF attachments.  The emails are then picked up by the canon printers and are printed out (unless the printer says it cannot analyze the attached TIFF file and logs Error# 818 or #821).  If I access those emails with the unprintable attachment on my Windows 10 PC, I can open the attachments without any problems.

Note that all TIFF file attachments are generated by Faxage and all are readable when detached from the emails and opened from a Windows PC.  However, not all of these TIFF attachments can be read (and printed) by the Canon printers.

Announcements