cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot scan, receiving message cannot start scanner driver while it is use by another application

Dan59
Apprentice

Trying to scan with Image Class MF733cdw and a iMAC on catalina. Getting the message "cannot start scanner driver while it is in use by another application or user " I'm not using any other application.

Any suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dan59.

Please let us know if you are still having issues, after installing the updated drivers and software.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Before we go further, can you confirm you are using the latest Catalina specific drivers released 10/4 (this month)?

MF733CDw Support

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Went crazy trying to fix this problem before I saw your message on the new drivers...worked great!!!

Thanks!!!

I have a Canon MF440 Series (specifically, the MF445dw), which uses the Canon MF Scan Utility.  I get the same message as others on this thread:  "The scanner is not available while in use by another application or user."  If I close out the Canon MF Scan Utility (and cancel the scan request on the printer), I am able to start over with a scan request from the printer and everything works fine for the second scan.  However, the problem repeats itself for the third scan, i.e., Canon MF Scan Utiliity remains open in the background following the second scan, so the program blocks the third scan with the same error message as above.

Two important nuances here:

- if I login as an administrator and install the scanner driver there, I do not have the above problem.  The scan utility closes after each scan and so does not block the subsequent scan.  However, when I login again on my user account, the scanning problem returns.

- I have a second Mac in the house that does not have the above problem even when logged in as a user.  Both Macs are on the Big Sur operating system.  I checked the permissions on the app on both computers, and they are set up the same.

I tried uninstalling the scanner driver and updated to the January 2021 scanner driver (1.10.6), but it does not help.

For whatever reason, Canon MF Scan Utility is remaining open in the background on just one computer and only on the user login of that computer.  Is there a solution to this problem?

Thank you.

Dan59
Apprentice
No, I’m not. Was not aware of new drivers. I will download them right away.

Hi Dan59.

Please let us know if you are still having issues, after installing the updated drivers and software.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yes, indeed. problem fixed.

Announcements