cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG REPORT: MF743cdw driver does not properly print PDFs on MacOS Catalina

brianinoc
Contributor

I have Macbook running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.  I have Canon drivers 10.19.3.  Many different PDFs from different sources print open boxes on various fonts (bold, italics, etc) when printed using the MacOS preview app.  The fonts are embedded in the PDFs, so this should not be an issue of missing fonts.  The same issue happens if one directly uses the MacOS command line utility for printing pdfs (lpr).

I tried reinstalling the OS and print drivers.  Neither fixed the issue.  I tried switching to the AirPrint drivers and it fixes this issue.

I then tried to find out whether the issue is with MacOS or with the Canon print drivers by turning on CUPS debugging.  This lets me grab a copy of the input to the Canon print driver.  Since the print driver accepts inputs of type application/pdf, that input is just a pdf file.

When I look the input to the print driver in both Adobe Acrobat and MacOS preview it is fine.  So the bug has to be in the Canon print driver binary capdftopdl.

How do I file a bug report?

3 REPLIES 3

brianinoc
Contributor

An addendum to this.  If I go and change cupsFilter2 line in the Canon PPD file to a "-" from the capdftopdl print filter, it prints fine.  I guess this means the printer natively supports PDF printing.  Of course none of the print options work correctly (cannot select black and white printing) because it was all implemented in the capdftopdl print filter.  So it would be nice to get this fixed.

Greetings,

If you believe you have have found a bug, you'll need to contact support:  1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

The forums are moderated, but their is not a software development presence.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi brianinoc

I concur with Shadowsports.  If you were able to correct the printing issue by editing the PPD file, then there is a bug that needs to be corrected.  Please contact our support, available 10 am to 6:30 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), at 1-800-652-2666.  Let them know what has occurred and what you did to correct it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements