cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Alexa cannot find my Canon MF634cdw printer

eelee321
Apprentice

my canon printer is on the approved list of printers, but none of my echo show 8 or echo dot 2nd gen or alexa app can discover it.

I updated the printer to most recent firmware v8.01 released November 2020, and IPP is enabled, all devices are on same network, but for some reason it cannot be discovered.

I reached our to alexa support but they were a waste of time, they kept having me try the Canon inkjet skill which does not work for my laser printer , they for some reason do not have a Canon laser printer skill, but my printer 100% is listed on the approved list of discoverable printers

I tried the Canon inkjet skill, but itrequires registration from the printer setup, and it does not let me register since its not in the system

The printer has to go to IJ Cloud Printing Center setup, which only the canon inkjet printer has, no such thing on the Canon imageclass printers.

I am guessing amazon mistakenly thought the laser printers were compatible and added them erroneously to the list

Has anyone able to get this to work with Alexa?

7.JPG

Amazon Certified: Works with Alexa

[link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with a screengrab]

2 REPLIES 2

guppy
Apprentice

I have an older Imageclass mf216n. It worked with Alexa for several months. I needed to change the password on my router at which time the printer ceased to work with Alexa. I removed the printer from my devices in Alexa thinking it would refind printer and I would enter new network password. Alexa could not find my printer. I also called Amazon without success they said if it wasn't on the list it would not work.I don't recall ever setting up a skill in Alexa and the app cannot find my printer. This should not be this difficult. If anyone has the solution, please post.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello eelee321,

If the printer can't be detected by your Amazon device when it performs a search, you can try unplugging your router from the power for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can have your Amazon devices try searching for the printer again. You would not need to install the Canon inkjet skill for the printer to be found.

If the printer is still not found once the network is back up, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. They would be more than happy to check your network settings and make sure the printer is communicating properly over your network.

Announcements