cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting Scan Density MF8380cdw

PK88
Contributor

I have a Canon MF8380cdw where the scans made to a file are too light.   Using the browser interface and the printer IP address I logged into “Management Mode”, selected “Settings/Registration”, “Function Settings”, "Scan Settings" and changed the “Density” value but there is no change in the resulting scan after the change.  I tried both “+4” and “-4” and the resulting scan is the same as if it was still set to “0”.

As a further test I changed the orientation from portrait to landscape and the resulting scan to a file was still in portrait orientation.

I have confirmed that any setting I change is actually changed and saved by logging out and logging back into the UI.

I would have thought any change in the settings via the browser would change the default settings but apparently not. The settings do not seem to have any effect for both “remote scans” and “computer scans”.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.  Is there anyone familiar enough with permanently adjusting the density of scans to assist me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi PK88.

To adjust the brightness and contrast of scanned documents, you will need to use the ScanGear MF driver.  Please follow the instructions below:

NOTE: PDF is used as the format in this example.

To access this driver, please follow the steps below:

1.  Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.

2.  Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK]. The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".

3.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].

4.  In the [PDF] window, click the check box for "Display the Scanner Driver"

5.  Click [Apply] at the bottom of the window.

6.  Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window. The ScanGear MF driver will open.

7.  Click the [Advanced Mode] tab.

Once [Advanced Mode] is open, you can adjust the brightness and contrast of a document by clicking on the [Brightness/Contrast] icon. The icon resembles a half-white, half-black sun. You may need to adjust these settings a few times to get the image quality that you prefer.

More information about the ScanGear MF tool can be found in the e-Manual that came with the machine. It will be on the User Manuals CD-ROM. If you are still unable to access this information, the e-manual is available for download at the Canon USA website.

If you have any other questions, or need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

PK88
Contributor

Someone moved my original post to "Office Printers (without a solution) but the 8380 is also a multifunction printer and this group seems to get a lot more attention from Canon support.   Currently I see 20 responses from Canon support personnel on the first page of "Printer/Multifuction" and exactly none from Canon personnel on the first page of "Office Printers" -- and there are 19 posts on that first page that do not have any replies going back two weeks.  "Office Printers" seems to be the worst place to post if you are looking for help so I have reposted here where I might have better luck.

I have a Canon MF8380cdw where the scans made to a file are too light.   Using the browser interface and the printer IP address I logged into “Management Mode”, selected “Settings/Registration”, “Function Settings”, "Scan Settings" and changed the “Density” value but there is no change in the resulting scan after the change.  I tried both “+4” and “-4” and the resulting scan is the same as if it was still set to “0”.

As a further test I changed the orientation from portrait to landscape and the resulting scan to a file was still in portrait orientation.

I have confirmed that any setting I change is actually changed and saved by logging out and logging back into the UI.

I would have thought any change in the settings via the browser would change the default settings but apparently not. The settings do not seem to have any effect for both “remote scans” and “computer scans”.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.  Is there anyone familiar enough with permanently adjusting the density of scans to assist me?

Hi, PK88!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by ready to help 24/7 via email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 8 PM ET (5 AM to 5 PM PT). We also encourage you to check out our Knowledge Base at that same link for answers to common questions.

Thanks and have a great day!

@Danny:  It would have been a lot more helpful if you had  offered some assistance or asked one of the regular Canon contributors in the "Printer/Multifunction Support" area to look in on "Office Printers" once in a while rather than simply move my post and leave a canned response.

My post was read and moved after 8 hours from where I might have received help in "Printer/Multifunction Support" to the "Office Printers" area where it has set for over 8 days with no response.

Bump - to put it back on the first page where it might generate a response.

Bump - Same reason as before.

Hi PK88.

To adjust the brightness and contrast of scanned documents, you will need to use the ScanGear MF driver.  Please follow the instructions below:

NOTE: PDF is used as the format in this example.

To access this driver, please follow the steps below:

1.  Verify that MF Toolbox is closed on the computer and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.

2.  Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK]. The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".

3.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox and select [PDF].

4.  In the [PDF] window, click the check box for "Display the Scanner Driver"

5.  Click [Apply] at the bottom of the window.

6.  Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window. The ScanGear MF driver will open.

7.  Click the [Advanced Mode] tab.

Once [Advanced Mode] is open, you can adjust the brightness and contrast of a document by clicking on the [Brightness/Contrast] icon. The icon resembles a half-white, half-black sun. You may need to adjust these settings a few times to get the image quality that you prefer.

More information about the ScanGear MF tool can be found in the e-Manual that came with the machine. It will be on the User Manuals CD-ROM. If you are still unable to access this information, the e-manual is available for download at the Canon USA website.

If you have any other questions, or need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am not sure why there are options for scan density and orientation in the web/user interface accessed through a web browser if hey are not expected to be the place to make those sort of adjustments but your solution did work.

Thanks for taking the time.

Announcements