cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP110 Turns on for a few seconds, then shuts down on its own

dtopple
Apprentice

Hi - my IP110 will turn on, power light goes on for a few seconds and it sounds like the printer is starting up as normal.  However, after a few seconds, before it gets to the point of being able to print, the printer simply turns off on its own.  Any suggestions on how I can correct this?  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

tonyinthecity
Contributor

I just encountered the exact same issue 2 days ago. I hope someone can help.

es, I start having this issue last Sunday. After trying what I could I thought the printer was defect and ordered a new one. However awhile ago I decided to do some more research in order to see if someone else was experiencing this issue and that when I found about this forum. To my surprise many people are complaining about the exact same issue and across different printer models. Then someone was saying that the issue is the connection to the internet. Well, I disconnected first the router, turned on the printer and to my surprise it stayed connected. Then turned on the router and the printer went off. Next I disconnect just the internet but not the router, turned on the printer and it stayed on. That's when I printed all the important stuff before going on with experiments. After that I turned again the internet on and the printer is still on until now. Another user advice was to connect to the printer via an USB cable instead of the LAN (Wi-Fi). Will see if that will be needed but only tomorrow as it's already late here (I'm in the UK). Anyway it seems that the fault is due to the internet being on, which means that somehow the printer is being contacted (or contacting) by something which creates the turning off. I wonder why ...

Hello,

Thank you for your hints, it helped me a lot!

I've investigated this problem a little bit and I found that iP110 requests some URL https://accounts.google.com/... on the startup and shuts down after that. When I restrict only this address on my network the printer starts up Ok. I think the Google has changed something on their servers and now iP110 receives an unexpected data.

Would be great if Canon will issue some firmware update to fix this.

ivanuke
Apprentice

This happened to me a few days ago also... was working fine and I print and use this printer everyday!!

tonyinthecity
Contributor

I posted a new discussion in Desktop Printers with the same topic. Maybe we can get someone to offer some suggestions. I tried a reset on mine but it still does the same thing -- starts up, blinks for a few seconds, then shuts off. It won't stay on long enough to set up again. I'm using it with macOS 12.4 (Monterey).

AHofmann
Contributor

Yes, I start having this issue last Sunday. After trying what I could I thought the printer was defect and ordered a new one. However awhile ago I decided to do some more research in order to see if someone else was experiencing this issue and that when I found about this forum. To my surprise many people are complaining about the exact same issue and across different printer models. Then someone was saying that the issue is the connection to the internet. Well, I disconnected first the router, turned on the printer and to my surprise it stayed connected. Then turned on the router and the printer went off. Next I disconnect just the internet but not the router, turned on the printer and it stayed on. That's when I printed all the important stuff before going on with experiments. After that I turned again the internet on and the printer is still on until now. Another user advice was to connect to the printer via an USB cable instead of the LAN (Wi-Fi). Will see if that will be needed but only tomorrow as it's already late here (I'm in the UK). Anyway it seems that the fault is due to the internet being on, which means that somehow the printer is being contacted (or contacting) by something which creates the turning off. I wonder why ...

ivanuke
Apprentice

I was able to go into my xfinity gateway and pause the connection to my ip110 and it is now staying on! Thank you for the help

cslarmore
Apprentice

I've been having the same problem with my IP110 today.  I pressed the power button and the power light would blink and the printer would make noises like it was starting up, and then the light would go out and the printer would shut off. I checked all power connections and tried it multiple times and kept getting the same result.  I read AHofmann's post in this thread about finding the problem to be related to the internet connection, and I wasn't sure how that would be the case for me since I don't use the wireless feature and always connect to my computer via USB. However I tried disconnecting my wireless router anyway, and it seems to have worked--the printer stayed on when I turned it on after the router was shut off, and I was able to print.  I have now restarted the router and the printer is still on and is printing another document.

tonyinthecity
Contributor

As a few others have posted here, this malfunction seems to be an issue with WiFi routers for some reason. I use a Mac, so the following is somewhat specific to macOS. I turned off my cable modem and WiFi router (with our internet service provider, they're separate appliances) then booted them back up again. Just be on the safe side, I deleted the old iP110 printer config in my system preferences: System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. I created a new config for my iP110 and my Mac was able to see it as a Bonjour/AirPrint printer, and I added it back to the printer list. I tested a print and voila, back in service. Hopefully it continues to work and stay connected to my home/office WiFi network. Will post again if something fails.canon-ip110-config.png

Announcements