cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide angle lens rental recommendation for t5

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Hi, 

I'm a newbie with t5 kit  and 50 mm lens.  Leaving in 7 days for a 2-week va-k in Barcelona and Paris.  I live in NYC and am hoping that I can rent a wide angle lens before my trip.  Any suggestions as to which rental company and lens I should go with?  Also, would u recommend I bring only the wide angle and 50 mm?  Traveling alone and hoping to lighten my load.  Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The two major internet rental companies are LensRentals and BorrowLenses.  But since you're in NYC,there's also Adorama Rentals and I *think* B&H Photo may also have a rental department.

The "kit" lens that would have come with your T5 is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.  But there's also an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens (never included in any kit) that collects quite a bit more light -- even though it's not really much wider than the kit lens.

These lenses offer a moderately wide through moderately tight view.

For wider angles, there are two lens options I would consider in Canon glass...

One is the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 

Somewhat recently (well... within the last year)... Canon introduced the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.  A bit better if you're doing video, but it's a "slower" lens in that it is higher focal ratio (meaing smaller aperture opening) than the 10-22mm lens.  But it does have image stabilization (which is nice for video.)  The 10-18 is more affordable.

And of course... since you're renting.... if you want a much higher quality option, there's always the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM (that's a $3k lens if you were to buy it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"But there's also an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens ..."

This is the lens you want.  Consider buying it, however, you will not want to give it back. Smiley Happy

You can sell your others because you won't use them anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I was in Barcelona earlier this year. I had the 10-18mm lens. Very useful for inside the cathedrals and narrow streets. If you aren't after the shallowest possible DOF you can get I would recommend the 10-18 over the 10-22 since IS will more than make up for the slower max f-stop.

With 18mm (or 22mm) max and only a 50mm you might find yourself limited. You didn't say which kit lens you have, but even the 18-135mm isn't that large or heavy.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Thank you all for your advice.  I hope to get a rental from either adorama or b&h.  

You should consider the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM.

A great lens for travelling to keep on your T5 camera 24/7.

Try it for a weekend rental before you go.

You might want to buy it used, rather than rent. $450-550.

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Yay!!!  I ended up purchasing the 10-18mm at B&H.  Thanks again!

How do you like this lens after having it for a few months now?

Announcements