cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my standard 18-55mm lens, suggestions for best replacement that is versatile

xochristy
Contributor

I lost my Canon EOS Rebel T3i standard 18-55mm lens this weekend. The only other lens I own is a 70-200mm telephoto. I love to take nature photos so alot of insects, flowers, landscapes, birds and animals. I'm considering buying a more versatile lens and I dont want to spend more than $600 and if I can spend less and get something really worthwhile that is great. I was considering the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but am not sure because I'm an amateur and I dont fully understand the lens options. A friend of mine is a photographer, so I asked him his opinion. He actually recommended I buy the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens. He shoots with a 50D but said that he personally a big fan of shooting with the ultra wide lens. I had trouble grasping what I would gain/give up by going this route. Anyone have any advice in fairly simple terms? My concern is that if I go from 18-55 to 11-22 what does I loose by no longer having 23-55 that I had on my original lens? I know that give then cost of the lens he is suggesting it's better, I just want to make a more informed decision. Thank you for your help! 

13 REPLIES 13

IMHO, I would not even consider this as a decision maker or breaker.

"... stating that it's large enough to cast a shadow when using the built-in flash..."

How many times do you use the built-in flash?

Besides the advantages of a dedicated speedlight far out weigh just as a bounce flash.  The main reason is power.  It is so much better than the built-in that is really isn't comparable.  Except they both flash!  I had two 7D's and I never once used the built-in flash.

Plus you don't need it today.  You can get it later.  That will give you time to see if you even need it.  There is ony 5mm difference in the diameter between the two anyway.  5mm !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@xochristy wrote:

Thanks everyone, it looks like th top contenders are these 2 below. There was one of you that mentioned that there was 1 drawback with the 17-55, stating that it's large enough to cast a shadow when using the built-in flash and noting that I would want ta speedlite so that i can bounce flash.  I am looking and that adds another $300+ in cost. Any further thougths on this point and thanks againg for all the expertise, I'm really thankful!

EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM  ($829)

EF-S 15-85mm IS USM ($799)

I have to agree with ebiggs... the fact that it partially blocks the built-in flash should be a non-issue for several reasons...
1. This is pretty much going to be true with any of the lenses you're considering... especially if using them properly with a lens hood. In fact, the 10-22mm that was recommended to you probably has the largest lens diameter and definitely the largest hood of all (it's sort of like a small Frisbee!).
2. The built-in flash is underpowered, located in the worst possible place for redeye and ugly shadows, slow recycling and draws power from the camera battery greatly reducing the total shots per charge. I can probably count the number of times I've used a built-in flash on one hand. I don't miss the built-in flash on models that don't have it and sort of wish Canon made more cameras without built-in flash (might reduce cost and improve sealing against dust and moisture a little.... but I understand why they include it on so many models).
An accessory flash is sooooo much better!
So I'd recommend you forget about this as a factor choosing a lens. Just plan on getting a good accessory flash soon, too!
I also recommend avoiding bounce flash as much as possible. Bouncing it just introduces way too many variables... the distance and color of the bounce surface are out of your control and you waste a huge amount of light bouncing, by doubling the distance to be covered and light being absorbed by the bounce surface. This forces the flash to fire much more fully and take a lot longer to recycle, too.
Instead learn to properly use direct flash. Use a diffuser on it, if you find it too harsh. Put it on an off-camera shoe cord and a flash bracket, to help minimize redeye and shadow issues. The Canon ETTL/ETTL II flash system is very effective and easy to use, once you understand the basics.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"So I'd recommend you forget about this as a factor choosing a lens. Just plan on getting a good accessory flash soon, too!

I also recommend avoiding bounce flash as much as possible. Bouncing it just introduces way too many variables... the distance and color of the bounce surface are out of your control and you waste a huge amount of light bouncing, by doubling the distance to be covered and light being absorbed by the bounce surface. This forces the flash to fire much more fully and take a lot longer to recycle, too.
Instead learn to properly use direct flash. Use a diffuser on it, if you find it too harsh. Put it on an off-camera shoe cord and a flash bracket, to help minimize redeye and shadow issues. The Canon ETTL/ETTL II flash system is very effective and easy to use, once you understand the basics."
Very well said. Smiley Happy
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@xochristy wrote:

Thanks everyone, it looks like th top contenders are these 2 below. There was one of you that mentioned that there was 1 drawback with the 17-55, stating that it's large enough to cast a shadow when using the built-in flash and noting that I would want ta speedlite so that i can bounce flash.  I am looking and that adds another $300+ in cost. Any further thougths on this point and thanks againg for all the expertise, I'm really thankful!

EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM  ($829)

EF-S 15-85mm IS USM ($799)

Also consider:

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM - $249

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - $549

You can get both for less than either lens you are considering.

Canon's STM lenses are their newest lenses, with improved optics. The Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM has image quality that matchs that of the EF-S 15-85mm IS USM.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=675&Camera=736&Sample=0&...

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS does have the best image quality of any of the EF-S lenes, so if your determined to go with one of the two lenses you listed it would be my choice.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements