cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70 F/4 Macro feature quick q

ujwalpoojary
Apprentice

Quick question for those of you with the 24-70 F/4. Tried searching but couldn't get a concrete answer. The macro feature of this lens is activated by turning it past the 70mm length... can it be used throughout the focal range or is it only at 70mm? The main reason why I ask this is because I want to utilize the short minimum focus distance at 30mm-35mm but not at 70mm.

Thank you for your help 🙂

edit: would like to say off the bat that the 100mm macro is not possible as it is too tight for my project.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The good thing about 24-70/4 IS is that it already focuses very close, if you need to get even closer, you turn the zoom ring past the 70mm mark and it will focus even closer.  That feature is just a focus aid not a zooming feature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you need to get closer, you can pick up an extension tube.

For example the Canon Extension Tube EF 12 II.  This mounts the lens slightly farther away from the body and it shifts the entire focus range of the lens (the close-focusing distance is even closer ... but the “far” focusing distance is also closer (so the lens wont focus all the way to infinity when the extension tube is attached.)

Camera metering changes when you use an extension tube, but the camera knows how to detect the Canon extension tube and it compensates correctly.  Kenko makes low-cost extension tubes (and they are popular due to their low cost).  I’m not sure if the camera picks up the metering change with those.  

In any case, the extension tube is merely a hollow barrel ... no glass.  So there’s no difference w.r.t. “optical” quality.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

teleworm1337
Apprentice

The good thing about 24-70/4 IS is that it already focuses very close, if you need to get even closer, you turn the zoom ring past the 70mm mark and it will focus even closer.  [link removed per forum guidelines]

Announcements