cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon lens

nikhilkgomes
Apprentice

Hey all, I have a canon EOS 1300D. So far I have just been using the 18-55mm kit lens. I am now in the market for a new lens. I am looking at doing quite a lot of wildlife photography and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a cheapish, good beginners lens? TIA 🙂

18 REPLIES 18

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am looking at doing quite a lot of wildlife photography ..."

This is easy.  Check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF.  This lens will be the only one you need and will go with you when you upgrade your camera, too.

Looking none zoom and prefer a prime?  Check out the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens. Or, the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens with the addition of the 1.4x tel con. Makes a 420mm f5.6 with IS.  Gotta love constant aperture.

Want to stay all Canon with a super zoom? The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens is your choice.  My only gripe is it doesn't have native 600mm.  Nevertheless all these are winners.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@nikhilkgomes wrote:

Hey all, I have a canon EOS 1300D. So;  far I have just been using the 18-55mm kit lens. I am now in the market for a new lens. I am looking at doing quite a lot of wildlife photography and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a cheapish, good beginners lens? TIA 🙂

"Cheapish" and "wildlife photography" rarely belong in the same sentence, I'm afraid. The problem is that with wildlife it's often difficult, and sometimes dangerous, to get close to your subject. Which means that you need a fairly long (i.e., telephoto) lens, and good ones are never cheap.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@nikhilkgomes wrote:

Hey all, I have a canon EOS 1300D. So;  far I have just been using the 18-55mm kit lens. I am now in the market for a new lens. I am looking at doing quite a lot of wildlife photography and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a cheapish, good beginners lens? TIA 🙂

"Cheapish" and "wildlife photography" rarely belong in the same sentence, I'm afraid. The problem is that with wildlife it's often difficult, and sometimes dangerous, to get close to your subject. Which means that you need a fairly long (i.e., telephoto) lens, and good ones are never cheap.

No need for a long focal length lens.  You *should* be able to get close enough to photograph a Grizzly Bear with an 18-55mm ... just make sure you get the amazing shot BEFORE the bear eats you!  They usually don’t eat the camera.  😉

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

If you are taking a video it can be the next "Blair Witch Project". 8^)

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This is arguably the best entry level telephoto lens that Canon currently offers.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbish...

Using a telephoto lens is very different from using a “standard” zoom lens.  This lens will give you an AOV, Angle Of View, that is nearly equivalent to the professional grade EF 100-400mm lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

This is arguably the best entry level telephoto lens that Canon currently offers.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbish...

Using a telephoto lens is very different from using a “standard” zoom lens.  This lens will give you an AOV, Angle Of View, that is nearly equivalent to the professional grade EF 100-400mm lens.

I must agree... for the money the EF-S 55-250 (STM) is an amazingly good value lens, and it's relatively small and light.

The next one up from that I would suggest would be the Canon EF 70-300 F4.0-5.6 IS II USM.  It will be a bit more expensive than the 55-250, but it's got a longer reach and seems to have a more robust build.  If price is a big factor (considering the word "cheap" was included in your requirement) you could go for the MkI version - they can be picked up used or refurbished very cheaply - I have the earlier version and my copy gave me great images. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens"

You mean the white one not the black one?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No the black one. Non-L, note the II

@kvbarkley wrote:

No the black one. Non-L, note the II

Yep that is what I meant.

In the progression of price up the scale for telephoto lenses I would rank them like this:

EF-S 55-250 STM

EF 70-300 Mk II or Mk I (non-L)  I Have the MkI version and it's a good lens, although there seems to be some variation in QA from user report, but if you get a good one (I did) excellent value

EF 70-300 L version (gorgeous lens I have one, but there is a significant price difference.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements