cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tripod and gimbal head questions

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

I have a pretty old Bogen tripod with the original Wimberly head that I have used with

my Canon 600mm lens.

I also have a smaller Manfrotti tripod I use with an Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead and my Canon 100-400II

lens.

Being used to the gimbal, I have a hard time using the ballhead.  I wouldn't mind replacing the
Arca-Swiss with a lighter-duty gimbal for use with my 100-400 (plus 1.4x TC).

Does this make sense?   My only other hesitation is that I really do not  like the 100-400 "foot" (tripod

mount ring).   

It does not stay tight when I put it on, and it loosens quickly.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has tried to put together this type of tripod, gimbal and 100-400.

Thanks,

Mitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, exactly like that.  Expect a Forum Moderator to come along and delete the link, replacing it with a screenshot.

Also, the Kirk foot does not have those safety screws to keep it from sliding out of a clamp.  I think it was a manufacturing oversight.  B&H sells two types of the those tiny screws.  I had a chat with them to ask which ones were correct, but they didn't seem to know, either.  The person I spoke to didn't realize plates were missing the safety screws.  I bought a package of each type of screw.  I think the two packages came to less than $5 USD.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One, nice gear.  

I replaced the tripod foot on my EF 100-400mmm II with one by Kirk, which did not include any of the correct safety stop screws.  I ordered some 3-4 years ago, but I cannot remember which ones.  Kirk makes two sizes, and I bought both.

I think the lenses the size of a 70-200 and 100-400 are probably a little on the small side for most gimbals.  I've never tried it, or bought one for that reason.  I don't think there would sufficient clearance when I began to angle upwards.  

I mostly use my 100-400 handheld.  When I do use a tripod, it is not for action photography.  I use a monopod with a Kirk MPA-2 for action photography during longer shoots.  They often play 3 youth tackle football games back to back.  No tripods on sidelines, anyway.

Waddizzle.... thanks for your reply.   I do hand-hold a lot, and it had occurred to me that I should

just continue doing so.   I don't need to spend more money, anyway.Smiley Happy

Yeah, it sounded to me like your B1 ball head has more friction than the Arca-Swiss mounting plate connection does with the lens foot.

I think a tripod foot would still be a good investment.  You never know when you may just want to set it down on a tripod, not even for an action scene.  They cost about as much as spare battery, less than $100 USD.  At one time there were a handful of third party manufacturers selling them.

Do you mean something like this:

lp-61n_w_qd1.jpg

Yes, exactly like that.  Expect a Forum Moderator to come along and delete the link, replacing it with a screenshot.

Also, the Kirk foot does not have those safety screws to keep it from sliding out of a clamp.  I think it was a manufacturing oversight.  B&H sells two types of the those tiny screws.  I had a chat with them to ask which ones were correct, but they didn't seem to know, either.  The person I spoke to didn't realize plates were missing the safety screws.  I bought a package of each type of screw.  I think the two packages came to less than $5 USD.

Found it.

I don't which one I used, but I found a use almost all of them.  

9F01CF34-D910-4552-96E3-96633D061131.jpeg

Maybe it was a shipping error (or a production change)?

Screenshot 2021-05-22 055743.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Maybe it was a shipping error (or a production change)?

Screenshot 2021-05-22 055743.jpg

It seems to have been a generous helping of both.  I don't think mine was a "one off", either.  When I bought it to their attention, the product photos and descriptions at B&H changed immediately withi a few hours.

Announcements