cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking of upgrading my EOS Rebel T6i camera

sportsMom4
Contributor

looking for suggestions on what i should upgrade to.  I primarily shoot my daughters sports (soccer and softball).  It has been suggested the MARK 5D or 7D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens."

I agree! For what it is the standard kit lens(es) is pretty decent. However there are better options and lenses.  These are the bottom of the Canon inventory of lenses.  For people that just want a decent DSLR camera they are find.  They are not the best choice for a person that wants to upgrade.

The first and obvious upgrade in lenses is the outstanding Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It is a fast and constant f2.8 aperture. It is not cheap but quality and constant aperture is not easy to make. 

"... B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale."

Absolutely! Fantastic lens and super sharp. Again a fast f4 constant aperture. Plus is is "L" quality.

I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

"Are you saying these are or are not good lenses? will work with mirrorless camera body or not?"

To be quite frank and on the edge of being brutally honest your,

"CANON ZOOM LENS EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM

CANON ZOOM LENS EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III" are not the best lenses to make a decision based on still using them.  But it is possible to adapt them to a current mirrorless model. That could soften the hit on the ole bank account until proper R series lenses are feasible. The camera will automatically produce cropped images that match the smaller image circle of EF-S optics.

Here is what I am saying, again just to give you an honest idea of the picture. The lenses you have are the very basic low cost first time camera lenses. They are fine for the market they are intended for. However, if you are in the upgrade mode, the biggest bang for the buck is in the lenses not the camera.  Basing an upgrade question based on keeping these lenses isn't wise.  Example if you bought the T8i vs your current T6i and kept the current lenses, the photos would hardly be noticeably better. Oh, yes you will get some upgraded features and such but the actual photos, not so much. The lens makes the shot.

"...will work with mirrorless camera body or not?"

I have not done it but they say you can adapt them to R series. They should work as well as they do now. But a true upgrade would be an R series camera with R series lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sportsMom4
Contributor
May just add a camera body and lenses to my collectionat this time. So if one needs serviced Im not without a camera, like i was last soccer season.

sportsMom4
Contributor
Staying with same camera body what would be a step or two upgraded in lenses

@sportsMom4 wrote:

I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens.  But, I would definitely look to upgrade the 75-300mm lens.  Most places are out of stock on the EF 70-300 Mark II lenses, which would be my first choice.

But, B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale.  Go for it!

@Waddizzle wrote:

@sportsMom4 wrote:

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens.  But, I would definitely look to upgrade the 75-300mm lens.  Most places are out of stock on the EF 70-300 Mark II lenses, which would be my first choice.

But, B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale.  Go for it!"

Dang it, man! I didn't see your comment about the 70-300 II being hard to come by.

That price for the 70-200 isn't bad. It's a shame that Canon Store is out of stock for the 70-200 refurb.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@sportsMom4 wrote:

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens.  But, I would definitely look to upgrade the 75-300mm lens.  Most places are out of stock on the EF 70-300 Mark II lenses, which would be my first choice.

But, B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale.  Go for it!"

Dang it, man! I didn't see your comment about the 70-300 II being hard to come by.

That price for the 70-200 isn't bad. It's a shame that Canon Store is out of stock for the 70-200 refurb.

I think B&H was out of stock of the EF 70-200mm f,4L USM.  They were not even listing it for sale, and neither is the Canon USA Online Store.  I suspect that once B&H sells out of them, then that will be the end of it for new lenses.

"...then that will be the end of it for new lenses."

I think you just might be correct. The end Is nigh!

EB

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens."

I agree! For what it is the standard kit lens(es) is pretty decent. However there are better options and lenses.  These are the bottom of the Canon inventory of lenses.  For people that just want a decent DSLR camera they are fine.  They are not the best choice for a person that wants to upgrade.

The first and obvious upgrade in lenses is the outstanding Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It is a fast and constant f2.8 aperture. It is not cheap but quality and constant aperture is not easy to make. 

"... B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale."

Absolutely! Fantastic lens and super sharp. Again a fast f4 constant aperture. Plus is is "L" quality.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I agree! For what it is the standard kit lens(es) is pretty decent. However there are better options and lenses.  These are the bottom of the Canon inventory of lenses.  For people that just want a decent DSLR camera they are find.  They are not the best choice for a person that wants to upgrade.

I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though "

Totally agree. My wife uses the EF 70-300 f/4-5,6 IS USM (nano) II with her R6, with adaper obviously, and I am amazed at the IQ. She used it on a T7i, and although it was OK, it's much better oh the R6. She is disabled, so she needs something light and the T7i, R6 and the 70-300mm II are perfect for her. I have the 70-300 L, but it is just too heavy for her.

Obviously, L glass would be the best choice, but the non L version is still a good choice if you are on a budget, JMO.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements