cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking of upgrading my EOS Rebel T6i camera

sportsMom4
Contributor

looking for suggestions on what i should upgrade to.  I primarily shoot my daughters sports (soccer and softball).  It has been suggested the MARK 5D or 7D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens."

I agree! For what it is the standard kit lens(es) is pretty decent. However there are better options and lenses.  These are the bottom of the Canon inventory of lenses.  For people that just want a decent DSLR camera they are find.  They are not the best choice for a person that wants to upgrade.

The first and obvious upgrade in lenses is the outstanding Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It is a fast and constant f2.8 aperture. It is not cheap but quality and constant aperture is not easy to make. 

"... B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale."

Absolutely! Fantastic lens and super sharp. Again a fast f4 constant aperture. Plus is is "L" quality.

I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Which lenses do you already own?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Canon Lens

CANON ZOOM LENS EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM

CANON ZOOM LENS EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III

Both lenses would work on the 7D line, but only the EF 75-300 would work on the 5D line.   Thus, when looking between those two models, you may find yourself needing more lenses if going with the 5D (or even 6D) line which uses a full-frame sensor.

Others will point out other options, but do also look at the EOS 90D as well to see it that would fit your needs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky is always great for providing excellent advice and information. <<<

We need some kind of budget $$$ to make better recommendations.

The 7D Mkii is a great APS-C camera for sports and wildlife

The 90D... while it has 20 less AF points, it adds an articulating screen, better ISO performance and 4K vid at 30P.

If you stick with APS-C format, it would be my choice.  Then I'd invest in more / better glass when budget allowed.

If you want the 65 AF point in a FF body and have the budget, a 5D4 is still supreme.  However, that also puts you within reach of a R6.  While I am not sold on Mirrorless just yet, I cannot deny the capabilites of the body.  But again, its all going to come down to budget, what you plan to use the camera for and what type of investment you are looking to make (in the short or longer term).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

sportsMom4
Contributor
I have been saving for quite so time now. So my budget is up there for a camera kit. I want something for sports action pictures and can handle the weather.

All of the cameras we mention and discussed are weather sealed.... 7D mkII, 5D4, 90D and R6.

We are still back to budget and duration of your investment.

Current T6i [2015]

7D mkII - 2014

5D4 - 2017

90D - 2019

R6 - 2020

Newer is not always better, but at some point an investment into older technology needs to be taken into consideration as it impacts you in the long run.

How long have you owned your T6i?  When did it stop meeting your needs, when did you decide it was time for an upgrade?

If I were considering a 7D mkII and 5D4...  I would choose a 5D4, even if I had a bunch of APS-C glass...  I had a T6s and about 8 lenses which I sold when I moved to FF.  Now I have a bunch of EF lenses.

The 90D and R6 have articulating screens.  The 2 above don't.  This was a big deal for me.  Others don't care   Your T6i has a fixed screen as well.  Since you are not heavily invested in APS-C glass, I would look at the 5D4 or R6.  

My leaning would be the 5D4 because of my familiarity with DSLR.  If however you want to future proof your lens investment, you have to go with the R6.  RF glass is the future and some day all of us will be going there.

Go to BestBuy and hold each camera.  What feels better to you?  Lensrentals dot com allows you to rent cameras for a week at a very reasonable price.  That should lock it in for you. 

Performance wise for sports either of these are the best Canon has to offer, both will stand up to weather as well. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This was very informative Thank you. I do want to go and be able to see and hold them in my hands.

IMHO, your least expensive upgrade that will offer the best bang for the buck is the 90D.  It is a fantastic camera in its own right. Your current lenses will work just as they have.

However, at this point in time the most logical "upgrade" is a mirrorless camera.  If you buy another EF/EF-S model camera you are still in a dead end line. The future is mirrorless.

To be quite frank and on the edge of being brutally honest your,

"CANON ZOOM LENS EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM

CANON ZOOM LENS EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III" are not the best lenses to make a decision based on still using them.  But it is possible to adapt them to a current mirrorless model. That could soften the hit on the ole bank account until proper R series lenses are feasible. The camera will automatically produce cropped images that match the smaller image circle of EF-S optics.

Check out the Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera or the more Rebel like Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Digital Camera. Both are full frame cameras, BTW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Are you saying these are or are not good lenses? will work with mirrorless camera body or not?
Announcements