cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do?

mrc1703
Contributor

Thank you for your help with my previous questions i really appreciate it... The new thing is digital photography classes...There is a camera shop not to far from my home and they offer digital photography classes using my EOS T6 for 75.00 dollars for 2 hours. The wife thinks that it's too much...Canon offers online classes for 20.00 for 89 minutes, which do you think would be more beneficial for me? Does anybody know a different way for a beginner to learn about using a new camera..Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance..

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There are numerous sources of information on photography.  Here is a link to series of videos that introduce beginners to the basics of photography.  The Canon Digital Learning Center, CDLC, is a very good place to learn about photography, and specifically how it all applies to various models of Canon cameras.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

There are two basic concepts that you need to understand about general photography.  The first is the "Exposure Triangle", and the second is "Depth-Of-Field".  Try doing web searches for those phrases.

The Exposure Triangle helps you to understand the exposure settings in your camera.  Depth-Of-Field helps you to better understand the aperture settings in your lenses.  Here is series of articles that explain how to apply those concepts.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/laura-morita-guide-to-amazing-photos.shtml

The best way to learn is by getting out there and taking photographs.  Photography courses challenge students to with photography projects, like going out and take a picture of 25 different things that are red, or some other less common color.

When I bought my first digital camera a few years ago, I was tempted to take a photography course.  As it turned out, I was slightly taken aback by the asking prices.  Not only that, my web search for classes turned up a wealth of information on the basics of photography, the same information that I would have been given in a two hour class.

The best investment that I made towards learning photography basics was buying a lens with a wide aperture, so that I could actually experiment with different settings.  Your camera kit lenses are very limited in this regard.  So, instead of paying $100 for a photography course, I invested in a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM prime lens for roughly the same amount.

Using that wide aperture lens, I learned that the secret to getting great looking photos was understanding the exposure triangle and DOF.  I quickly realized that one secret to sharp photos is grabbing as much light as possible [wide aperture]. as quickly as possible [high shutter speed], with as little effort as possible [low ISO] 

Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO are the three legs of the Exposure Triangle.  The problem is that you cannot always use the optimum setting for each of those attributes, not unless you have very strong sources of light, like a bright sunny day.  Otherwise, you have to compromise on one or more of those settings.  There, this one paragraph describes most of what you can be taught in a two hour class. 

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your help and insight..I will definitely use all your suggestions i appreciate it...

There are many places where you can take a class or course.  Check your local Civic Center.  Your local Park and Rec's may offer classes.  I taught DSLR 101 for our P&R.  Your community college probably has adult classes in photography.  You will learn way more there than any on-line so-called class.  CC's offer more into photography like the post editing part.  Post is as important to more important than taking the shot!

The biggest problem for beginners is, they don't know what they don't know.  That is the best reason for a real class with a real instructor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@mrc1703 wrote:

Thank you for your help with my previous questions i really appreciate it... The new thing is digital photography classes...There is a camera shop not to far from my home and they offer digital photography classes using my EOS T6 for 75.00 dollars for 2 hours. The wife thinks that it's too much...Canon offers online classes for 20.00 for 89 minutes, which do you think would be more beneficial for me? Does anybody know a different way for a beginner to learn about using a new camera..Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance..

See whether your local trade school or community college has night classes in photography. If so, google the instructor to make sure that (s)he is competent to the task. Those institutions are usually fairly inexpensive and can be a good source of information to bolster your skills. Sometime in the future you may be able to make your own contribution if they ask you to teach such a class.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

John_SD
Whiz

@mrc1703 wrote:

I am taking one of The Great Courses online: Fundamentals of Photography, taught by Joel Sartore. I paid $69.95 for it on sale. Sartore has shot many assignments for National Geographic, as well as Audobon, Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, and on and on. A very down-to-earth guy and someone who clearly believes that great gear is no substitute for study, practice, acquired skill and knowledge. I recommend the class highly.

Announcements