cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty clock starts upon pre-order?

aatreya
Apprentice

I have placed a pre-order for the Canon R5 Mark II. I just looked at the official Canon warranty terms here: https://downloads.canon.com/nw/cso/warranties/warranty_EOS_digital_camera.pdf

The terms state that the warranty is valid "for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase", NOT from the date of delivery of the order. In my case, the delivery date it is over a month after I placed the preorder. Does that mean I lose more than a month of warranty?

8 REPLIES 8

normadel
Authority
Authority

You placed a PRE-ORDER. The sale has not completed, not until the item ships to you.  That's when the warranty starts.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've had this happen before.  With a body, some lenses, and CarePaks too.  I called support and they took care of it.  The system just looks at the order date.  Your receipt will show the purchase date too, but a rep can help you adjust it.  In my case, they just extended the coverage.  I was traveling when the R5 C was released.  I waited a week before I pre-ordered.  I got one of the first shipments from the second batch.  Order date and ship date was 2 months apart.  They'll take care of you, don't worry  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

Does Canon also charge your credit card/bank account at time of order rather than when they ship? If so, that's pretty bad of them. Payment and warranty should not happen until shipping. That's the way it is with every other vendor i have purchased from.

When you reserve a product, a hold is placed on your card. Otherwise, people would reserve items without intent to purchase - to purposefully cause chaos. 

A hold is not the same as actually taking the money.

Correct. Some people still freak out over it, though. 

Normandel,

When you order or pre-ordere a product  Canon will put a hold your account for the amount of the purchase, and on your account it will show as a "Pending charge" as your account will not be charged untill the item ships.  When the item ships, that is the date of purchase, and when your credit card is actually charged, ("Pending" disappears).  Amazon is the same way, as a matter of fact most reputable dealers,  retailers, and companies work this way.  

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Stephen

When you purchase from Canon USA directly, our system knows when you placed the order and when the item shipped. It will automatically register the product for you, and it should have the correct date. My most recent purchase has the date the product shipped. If, for whatever reason, yours needs to be modified, just let us know. 

Stephen_0-1722271592462.png

click here to view the gallery
Announcements