cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade or no? Question regarding t5i and possible replacements or other recommendations

mfranque
Apprentice

Hey all, 

I have a T5i that I have had since Fall of 2013. I really like what it does. I've gotten some amazing pictures out of it and I have a variety of zoom, range, macro, and fixed length lenses.  I've previously had a T1i (motherboard went bad) and a T3i (stolen out of my veichle when I was a dummy and didn't take it into my house one night). 

I usually shoot landscape, wildlife, and macro nature shots. Unless I'm on a photo-specific trip I often don't take more than one lens with me into the field. I'll take a range lens and enjoy my time outside and taking pictures is a second tier goal. When I am in photo mode I'll take a few options with me but never more than 2-3 lenses. I generally only used my fixed lenght lenses when I'm shooting portraits which doesn't happen that often anymore. 

I'm looking to potentially change up my current set up for one reason and one reason only, weight. I sometimes struggle to want to take my camera with me becuase it is heavy and awkward and then I end up kicking myself because I want to be able to take better pictures than what my phone can take (always such a disappointment). I don't like wearing a big camera vest and the only comfortable way I have found to carry my camera for long hikes is either on a backpack strap clip or on a belt clip both of which can be cumbersome. 

We have now come to my question. I was considering going to a mirrorless option to try and save 5-8 oz of weight (likely the EOS Mark 50, or EOS the RP) but I can't find any opinions on transitioning from DSLR to Mirroless. Is there a learning curve? Any thoughts or recomendations?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this question. I've lurked the forums for awhile but never posted. 

Thanks for any insights. 

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Before I would look at or buy a M series I would check out the Powershot lineup.  M series is a dead end. Don't fool yourself the Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II or Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III are very capable cameras that carry their lens with them. Some have 1" sensors, too, so cropping is no problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Before I would look at or buy a M series I would check out the Powershot lineup.  M series is a dead end. Don't fool yourself the Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II or Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III are very capable cameras that carry their lens with them. Some have 1" sensors, too, so cropping is no problem.

If you are looking to reduce size and weight; then this is probably the way to go.  Buying another DSLR will be just that, another DSLR.  Even if you go with mirrorless body, you will still be carrying around the same amount of stuff as you are now.

BTW, when it comes interchangeable lens cameras, the entry level Rebel series is actually pretty light in weight.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok that's what I was thinking. I know it seems silly to be worried about a few ounces but when I'm looking at 30 mile days and planning everything else I carry with me it makes a difference. I'm not worried about how many things I'm carrying just the weight and an easy way to carry the camera without making myself off balanced. Thanks for the input. 

" I know it seems silly to be worried about a few ounces but when I'm looking at 30 mile days ..."

I don't do 30 mile outings anymore, I am 75 years old though, but I still do several hour walks for my past time fun.

I carry 1 series camera(s) and big zoom lenses like the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens or the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I doubt I if you removed a full pound off either of these I could tell the difference. But everybody is different I know. I guess its all what you are used to.

BTW, I 'almost' always have my trusty Powershot G1X.

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lenses do you have?

I have a bunch but the ones I hike with the most are an EF-S 18-55mm and a EF-S 18-135mm. To be honest most of the weight comes from the lenses (especially the 18-135) and I might be better off looking for something there that suits my needs better. I did do the math and even with the lens adaptor the mirrorless bodies are less weight than my current t5i body so that is part of the reason I was leaning that direction.

If you are taking a lot of images on your hikes, factor battery life into the equation.  Mirrorless bodies consume more power to support the EVF so make sure you are safely within the capable single battery range of the camera that interests you or your weight savings will go away in the form of carrying a spare battery.

The most important place to shed equipment weight is your hiking shoes or boots if they are on the heavy side of what is available because the motion/energy of repetitively lifting a heavier shoe is more costly than a few ounces of camera weight.  Avoiding the weight of unneeded lenses is a good plan but there are likely more practical ways to shed carried hiking weight than a few ounces of camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"... when it comes interchangeable lens cameras, the entry level Rebel series is actually pretty light in weight."

I totally agree.  Are you sure you weighed them exactly?

A Powershot is not only lighter but smaller and way much smaller and less heavy than a DSLR and two lenses.

BTW, why in the world would you carry two lenses that have nearly the same FL? A 18-55mm and a 18-135mm seems a poor  choice if weight is the concern. Forget the 18-55mil and just go with the 18-135mm and you saved weight and didn't spend a dime.

Several batteries and a few SD cards is a very good idea too.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
What are you doing with your images after capture. If you are sharing via email and/or social media platforms a wide range bridge camera is more than adequate.

The newer iPhones are also extremely capable.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements