cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade my camera body? (Canon rebel xt)

LaurenDean
Apprentice

I've been away from the photography scene for a while, and there's so much new tech that i'm overwhelmed. I have a Canon Rebel xt, with a 70-200mm f/4 lens that I love. I mostly just want to take photos of my dog when we go on hikes.

Will I get a big bump in photo quality if I upgrade the body? The photos aren't very sharp if I zoom in (6 megapixel limitation), but otherwise i'm happy with it.

If I were to upgrade, my budget would be in the $600 range, and i'd look for something used. I've seen the Canon 7d recommended (does it make a difference if it's mk i or mk ii?), and the 70d/80ds too. Any major differences vs the Canon SL3 vs the latest rebel T?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

What is the end use of your photoss - Instagram/email or large prints?

Can you post a JPEG of a typical photo that you don't think is sharp? Post an out of camera copy so the EXIF data can be seen.

I had a 1D Mark IIn back in 2006 that was an 8MP body.

This is a random shot I pulled up showing full size ana crop section at 100%., Taken with a 70-200 f/4.

I suspect that you should be able to get a similar shot quality with your camera.

Screenshot 2021-01-28 084719.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-28 084822.jpg

Probably wouldn't make a great wall print, but also not what I would classify as blurry.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As John commented very correctly, much depends on what you are using the camera to produce.  If your purpose is to produce small prints or to view on a media device, and you are happy with those results then stick with what you have. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The fact is any reason is a good reason to upgrade your camera. Smiley Happy  I have many times!  Smiley Very Happy

The XT is pretty long in the tooth there Kido.  However, the 7D is also an old guy.  I would rather see you get an 80D or something in that era of camera.

It isn't going to take much to get a better camera and better pictures. Any newer camera will do that.

"Any major differences vs the Canon SL3 vs the latest rebel T?"

The biggest difference is the size.  It is unlikely that a person that is considering a 7D would like or opt for an SL3 or any SLx or vice versa. Do consider that 80D idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements