cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense of safety...

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

I have, like many of you, expensive camera equipment and other optics. When my wife and I travel to a state or national park we take some of our equipment with us and leave the more high profile, long lenses, at home. 

On the one hand leaving some of the equipment home can cause heartburn because of missed opportunities because you didn't bring the long or wide lens. On the other hand if you bring all of it its extra weight that will wear and weigh you down if you're not in the best of physical shape. 

The third is safety. Have you or do you know of a photographer either pro or novice that had their equipment stolen or worse had their equipment robbed from them?

The last trip my wife and I took was to San Antonio. I took my Fujifilm GW 690II medium format with my very sturdy Manfrotto tripod while my wife took her EOS RP w/35mm IS STM lens and her tripod. We also had our backpacks with bottled water and other items

As a former county deputy and a crime victim five times in the past, I generally keep an awareness of my surroundings which can put a damper on carefree trip. 

How comfortable are you when you take your $$$$$ equipment out into the field for landscape photography or in town for urban street photography? Do you trave light or do you take a long lens or two which tends to draw a stray pair of eyes?

7 REPLIES 7

TomRamsey
Contributor

My first thought is why have it if you are afraid to use it.  The is probably as much chance of your home being broken into while you are gone as as being robbed on a trip.  You are seriously unlucky to have been a five time victim.  I personally don’t know anyone that has had equipment stolen, but I know it happens.  I know of several people that use bags that don’t look like camera bags, they use inserts to protect the gear.  
I always travel somewhat light, even if going on a long trip I will do research to decide what gear I want to take.  I have a small sling bag that will hold a camera with a lens attached and a couple other small lenses.  If I need to take a long lens it won’t fit in that.  Even locally the most gear I will hike with is a camera mounted with a longer lens, the sling and a tripod.  That is usually for a walk of four miles or less.  My most recent longer outing consisted of about six miles of kayaking and eight miles of walking on the beach of a barrier island, I only took a long zoom, if I needed something more, too bad.  You need to set limits.  I’m 70, I w any to enjoy being out and taking photos, not struggle by taking more than I need.  Now if I am going to do a vacation in a car, I can take more because some gear can stay safely hidden.  But I seldom take more than  a few lenses, tripod, and a camera or two.

I use my equipment locally. I rarely see anyone with the type of equipment I use. I live in the fourth largest city in the US. When I'm in the downtown district there are lots of people taking photos with their phones and that's on a weekend. 

When were out at a state park known for its fauna. Maria and I are the only ones with camera equipment. Again others using phones are rampant. 

If there is an issue sometimes being in remote areas cell signal is weak to non-existent. Like Tom mentioned if you have it don't be afraid to use it.

I think much depends on the kind of holiday one is envisioning.  One factor that can be common to all is travelling with someone you can trust.  It makes all the difference so one can mind luggage and gear while the other is booking in, going to the loo, nodding off or whatever.  Being on your own is somewhat more stressful.  It's also more fun to travel with a friend and share the experience - preferably another photographer who is positively inclined to stop when you want to take a shot! 🙂 📷

I live by the adage I had hammered into me: 'be aware of your surroundings', anticipating the risk beforehand, watching who is watching me, or loitering, keeping an eye on how I carry gear: never slung just on one shoulder, no brand straps in favour of holsters, big lenses carried across the torso.  Taxis - if possible I don't take the front one or the one that pulls up first and I know the cost of travel to where I am going - usually, I prefer transit.

Many years ago, when working, I was crossing a border between two countries that shall remain nameless but not highly-rated by Transparency International.  I had been told of a scam where people were held up by the border guards and their valuables, including camera gear, was taken at gunpoint.  The trick was to cooperate.   Having to go through, I bought some crap cameras and lenses, and had a wallet with dud credit cards and some small sums of cash and left that on the back seat.  Sure enough, leaving the first border, the guard took an great interest in what I had and went to the phone.  I was waved through, and at the border entry point a hundred metres away the guard was waiting.   As I like to put it, I had Canons but they had Kalashnikovs!  So, we went through the process of me being intimidated, my 'valuables' taken, and being sent on my way.  My real gear was in a compartment under the rear passenger seat labelled "Danger: High Voltage" and lots of lightning bolts hitting someone.

If going by car, then there are more options to take more gear: although mindful of security when out of the car is a factor.  It's been a while since I did a long-distance car trip, but I would take just a couple of bodies and 2 lenses - that choice depends on the kind of environment and purpose of the trip.  Since I shoot mostly wildlife, an RF 24-240 and Sigma 60-600s.  I can carry those for some time without an issue.

Flying: I always research and work it to fit within with each airline's restrictions of weight and bulk for carry-on for lenses and bodies (and batteries), but any accessories go in checked luggage.  My camera bags look more like normal backpacks and I avoid branded things like camera straps - for shooting my cameras go in holsters for day shooting.

Multi-day Tramping and Hiking: NZ is blessed with one of the best hut systems in the world, but there is always a risk of not making it across a stream in torrent at the end of the day to get to one, so at least a small tent needs to be carried on top of the normal hiking gear. Thus a weight and bulk are critical, and so is environmental protection.  For that purpose, just two camera: the Sony RX-10MkIV, IMHO the best bridge super-zoom around and the Nikon 1AW which is has a 1" sensor and is good down to about 10m depth.

Finally, while away, that leaves a fair bit of stuff at home and, being alone, I will rely not only on a security system, but I have a cunning storage that looks like a water cylinder but actually opens up secretly to be an fire and environmentally-protected gear safe - with my other gear and important personal stuff like papers, computers etc. Luckily I live down a long driveway but often go out when my neighbours are at work, so no-one may know I am even away.  I keep the boxes my camera gear comes in, but they are flattened and well hidden so as not to give a clue to any intruder.

Finally, insurance for gear at home and travelling - worth the investment even for peace of mind.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

dpsaiz,

You could also look into insuring it. That might help a little.

Steve Thomas

Afzal_BG_BR_UK
Enthusiast

Selecting camera gear for any photography excursion is truly a dilemma.
My solution to this common and never-ending battle is to just simply 'pause'. I re-think precisely what I intend to photograph on this specific outing. So, yes, I make that decisive 'emotional' decision of carrying only a selection of kit.
Excursion_1: A local Hotel with landscaped gardens and extensive grounds. For here, I decided to take my DSLR with my EF-s 10-22mm and my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, tripod & cable-release. No flashes, no zoom lenses.
Here, I was restricted to taking only Macro shots of plants, flowers and fauna as well as capturing Landscapes. I have both lenses fitted with Hoya CPL's so that I can better control the light when applicable.
Outcome: yes of course, many missed opportunities to capture BiF. But, I made the decision to sacrifice that element of my photography on this specific outing. I can of course, re-visit the location with other gear. Yet, I am extremely pleased with the captured images.

Excursion_2: A local Monastery located inside a rocky cliff - a bit of a local Landmark. Again, selecting gear to make the most of the opportunities is hard to do. But, for mobility, practicality and reality, I decided on taking the EF-s 55-250 kit zoom lens, my EF-s 10-22mm, tripod, cable-release and a Hoya UV Filter for the zoom lens. Again, I have 'self-restricted' the options of what I can/will photograph. So, I immerse myself 'in-the-moment' to do the best I can with what I have.
Outcome: limited captured images (the gate to access the cave Monastery was locked), but I managed to climb the steep staircase to gain some lovely panoramic images of the surrounding views. So, happy to have achieved 'something'. Disappointed that I didn't bring my trusty 100mm Macro lens to photograph the wide selection of fauna, shrubbery and flora. But, hey-ho, that can be done on another excursion.
So I think, from my own lessons, make that decision up-front of what the purpose of the photo-excursion is for and then just take that anticipated kit with you. If you 'lose-out' in one aspect, you may well gain and benefit from that other aspect.
Never regret! - just choose, then conquer and delight in the rewards of those captured images! (Next time, change the gear around!).
You only "Lose" when you fail to use the camera gear!
Every use is a "Win", as you capture your memorble image!
--
As for personal safety, a have a non-descript/non-branded camera backpack, my neoprene camera strap is a Chinese-made generic thingy. Here in Bulgaria, it is very very safe to walk-about alone and not be assaulted, attacked, threatened or robbed! Rural Bulgaria is terrifically safe and wonderful!

Cameras:- 7Dii & (x2 40D)
EF:- 100mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8
EF-s:- 55-250mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm
Flashes:- x4 580exii, MT-24ex, Godox AD300Pro
Triggers:- x5 PW TT5s & x2 PW TT1s & x3 Godox X-Pro

JFG
Rising Star

Safety is always a priority, for myself, my equipment and others.  I travel a lot and usually plan my trips well in advance.  The photography equipment I take with me depends on where I'm going and the type of photography I'll be shooting.  If I'll be doing wildlife, then of course I'm taking my R6 MK2, long lens, and RF 24-105mm lens just in case.  If I'm doing street photography, then it depends on the neighborhood and crime rate for the area.  I usually take my smaller profile M50 MK2 and suitable lenses like my EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M55-200mm as they are not as conspicuous.   I usually use my Lowepro backpack which is inconspicuous and doesn't look like a camera bag.  I like to use my equipment as much as possible when traveling.  The main thing is to know where you are, where you're going and always being aware of your surroundings, whether you're close to home or far in another country.  Beforehand, check for crime activity where you're going and if it's higher than normal than choose another place to go.  I purchased my equipment to use and use it I will.  Also, you can insure your equipment, just in case.  Enjoy your photography equipment, that's what it's for.  Having said that, everyone is entitled to do what is best for them.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Finelld
Apprentice

I live in San Antonio and have been the victim of photo equipment theft.  I was on my way to a shoot for school with a light kit, camera, lenses, etc.  I stopped for a quick bite to eat and when I was in the restaurant my vehicle was broken into and I had around $5k of gear stolen.  I did catch the thief selling it on Craigslist.  The police did a great job.  The thief had priors.  But the DA refused to prosecute.  My current solution is to have a security system on my vehicle that pages me when it is triggered.  I also hide Apple air tags in my equipment so it can be easily located if stolen.  I have also added equipment insurance.  

I still use my equipment as needed.  If you have equipment and are too afraid to use it then what is the point of having it?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements