cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors of Canon's first full frame mirrorless camera?

John_SD
Whiz

"Canon will release two full frame mirrorless cameras before the middle of 2019, the first one to come will be the “flagship” model for this new line of cameras. As reported earlier this camera will sport a 30.4mp sensor that could be closely related to the EOS 5D Mark IV.

"The second full frame mirrorless body will be a lower megapixel count. We’ve seen mentions of various pixel counts, which isn’t unusual, as test cameras can come with a wide array of different image sensors. The most likely pixel count will be around 24mp, we do not believe they’ll be using the EOS 6D Mark II’s 26.2mp sensor, or even a modified version of it."

Personally, I don't find it hard to believe. The response to the M3 was lukewarm at best, and Sony has blown the competition out of the water so far. If Canon hopes to be competitive with mirrorless, they have to get into the game in earnest. 

In addition, Nikon is also rumored to release a full-frame mirrorless at around the same time. Could we one day see the DSLR go the way of the SLR and film? 

See canonrumors dot com

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've seen the article as well.  I've not looked too closely at the A7III, and don't really care about Sony, but I have seen pictures taken with it and am first to admit they were very good (outstanding).  A colleague just bought a D850 (off topic) and his "first time" out images were breathtaking.  He's a professional photographer, so I expected it, but wow were the photos good.  Of course he's got the compliment of Nikon lenses that makes it possible.  ('ll never switch though).

I want to see Canon develop mirrorless options.  They have certainly had enough time now for R&D and will hopefully deliver 2 great cameras (as you mentioned).  That said, I love my 6D2, but put a articulating screen on a 5D5 or 4D1 (guessing) and I'll buy it right now.  A year or less from now I'll be ready for a new body.  I'm sure whatever it is, will support my EF lenses, so I'll buy whichever it turns out to be as long as it has the screen.  Silly I know, but its just something I don't want to live without now.  I don't mind waiting for it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

I've seen the article as well.  I've not looked too closely at the A7III, and don't really care about Sony, but I have seen pictures taken with it and am first to admit they were very good (outstanding).  A colleague just bought a D850 (off topic) and his "first time" out images were breathtaking.  He's a professional photographer, so I expected it, but wow were the photos good.  Of course he's got the compliment of Nikon lenses that makes it possible.  ('ll never switch though).

I want to see Canon develop mirrorless options.  They have certainly had enough time now for R&D and will hopefully deliver 2 great cameras (as you mentioned).  That said, I love my 6D2, but put a articulating screen on a 5D5 or 4D1 (guessing) and I'll buy it right now.  A year or less from now I'll be ready for a new body.  I'm sure whatever it is, will support my EF lenses, so I'll buy whichever it turns out to be as long as it has the screen.  Silly I know, but its just something I don't want to live without now.  I don't mind waiting for it.    

I myself have not looked into mirrorless cameras in earnest, though that may change. The changeover to full frame mirrorless seems inevitable to me, and while I don't expect it to happen overnight, I think it is coming. It should certainly give pause to people like me who are planning to make the transition to full frame. I am going to wait now, and see what the near future brings in terms of mirrorless full frame offerings from Canon and Nikon.

Speaking of full frame, I see that you list the 6D Mark 2 in your tagline. How do you like it? Is the dynamic range as limited as the reviewers have been stating? That would have been the camera I would have selected as my entry into full frame, but with canonrumors stating that Canon and Nikon are going to be releasing mirrorless full frame cameras in the forseeable future, I might hold off. One good thing of note is that rumors also state that adapters will also be designed and released so that guys with EF lenses can still use them. Same with Nikon.

@shadowsports wrote:

...I love my 6D2, but put a articulating screen on a 5D5 or 4D1 (guessing) and I'll buy it right now.  A year or less from now I'll be ready for a new body.  I'm sure whatever it is, will support my EF lenses, so I'll buy whichever it turns out to be as long as it has the screen.  Silly I know, but its just something I don't want to live without now.  I don't mind waiting for it.     

I too would love to have a camera with a fully articulating screen (not just tilting to and fro). I shoot enough at ground level or a foot above that an articulating screen would be very helpful and handy.   

John_SD
Whiz

Following up on my own post, today's announcement from canonrumors dot com is even more encouraging:

"We’re told that photo gear related announcements from Canon will be coming the first week of September, it is expected that Canon will announce at least one mirrorless camera.

"Other product announcements are also expected around the same time leading into Photokina, which begins September 26, 2018.

"The full frame mirrorless camera from Canon is being described as an “EOS 5D Mark IV in  a mirrorless body” internally by at least one retail insider. We think we’re going to get more than a mirrorless version of a two year old camera."

I will definitely be holding off on full frame until the release of these mirrorless cameras. 

I really love my 6D2.  The DR topic has been discussed into oblivion.  There are 2 camps.  I'm not going to hijack your thread discussing it.  You are either a 6D2 fan, or you aren't.  I'm enjoying the body and am taking great pictures with it.  But there are people out there who feel strongly that Canon didn't do enough with the 6D2.  I say buy something else if you feel that way. 

But were here to talk mirrorless.  Hopefully we'll know more in the next 6 months and have something to hold in 10. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@John_SD wrote:

Following up on my own post, today's announcement from canonrumors dot com is even more encouraging:

"We’re told that photo gear related announcements from Canon will be coming the first week of September, it is expected that Canon will announce at least one mirrorless camera.

"Other product announcements are also expected around the same time leading into Photokina, which begins September 26, 2018.

"The full frame mirrorless camera from Canon is being described as an “EOS 5D Mark IV in  a mirrorless body” internally by at least one retail insider. We think we’re going to get more than a mirrorless version of a two year old camera."

I will definitely be holding off on full frame until the release of these mirrorless cameras. 

A 5D4 in a mirrorless body figures to be significantly underpowered. Maybe that's why they're literally giving away a battery grip when you buy a 5D4 these days (i.e., to get you used to the idea that you need a grip). I wonder if it will be missing some power hogging features like WiFi and GPS.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD

A 5D4 in a mirrorless body figures to be significantly underpowered. Maybe that's why they're literally giving away a battery grip when you buy a 5D4 these days (i.e., to get you used to the idea that you need a grip). I wonder if it will be missing some power hogging features like WiFi and GPS.

It may be underpowered in its first iteration, but that issue will be resolved without too much dificulty. If Canon releases a powerful mirrorless in full frame with 5D4 capabilities, then it will only be a matter of time before the DSLR as we know it today goes the way of analog TVs and the old Polaroids and Instamatics. Better tech replaced them. So it has always been with cameras. Now, while I may be willing to wait up to a year to see what happens with full frame mirrorless, I'm not going to wait indefinitely, as I am not going to deprive myself of better gear. I see it as a win-win for guys like me who haven't ventured into full frame yet. If full frame mirrorless is a success, then I would jump on it. But regardless, it should push down the cost of exisitng DSLRs in general, including the 5D4.So that would also be a good thing. We'll see what happens, but as the saying goes, the future waits for no man. 

@John_SD wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD

It may be underpowered in its first iteration, but that issue will be resolved without too much dificulty. If Canon releases a powerful mirrorless in full frame with 5D4 capabilities, then it will only be a matter of time before the DSLR as we know it today goes the way of analog TVs and the old Polaroids and Instamatics. Better tech replaced them. So it has always been with cameras. Now, while I may be willing to wait up to a year to see what happens with full frame mirrorless, I'm not going to wait indefinitely, as I am not going to deprive myself of better gear. I see it as a win-win for guys like me who haven't ventured into full frame yet. If full frame mirrorless is a success, then I would jump on it. But regardless, it should push down the cost of exisitng DSLRs in general, including the 5D4.So that would also be a good thing. We'll see what happens, but as the saying goes, the future waits for no man. 

I take that to mean that you are volunteering to be among the first in this forum to take the plunge. We'll eagerly await your reports.  Smiley Wink

BTW, one other thing to look out for on a serious mirrorless camera (besides battery capacity) is the speed of the electronic viewfinder. The main reason my wife and I switched to DSLRs was that the EVFs on our P&S cameras never showed us what we were actually going to get. That was twelve years ago, of course, and one hopes that things have changed a lot since then.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am not a mirrorless fan.........................yet.  It is not just good enough to just equal the performance of current DSLR but to improve on it.   Otherwise, why?  What we have is doing a nice job already.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements