cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older FD/FL lenses/bellows

McDonald
Apprentice

Hi. Have some older specialty Canon lenses, especially a FL bellows unit and Macro lenses. Are these adapatable to modern cameras in the Canon line? Beautiful pieces! Fun to get back into this aspect again! Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Bayonet mount, but yes you know of them !

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Are these adapatable to modern cameras in the Canon line?"

Most of the time it is best to let history remain in the past.  It is where it belongs.  However, if you have the "hots' I am sure anything is possible with enough effort. I went through it with tons on old gear, so .....................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You are most likely correct. Just thought there might be a solution hidden in the collective mind out there!

McDonald
Apprentice

It appears I may have found a solution, Metabones adapters have adapters for alot of mixed camera product connections. It appears that it only works on mirrorless cameras.

https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_FD-X-BM1

FDLover34
Apprentice

As far as the bellows, I just used a glassless FD to EF adapter (available just about anywhere for under $50) to fit the camera (5D II) to the bellows (you could, in theory, use the adapter for the macro lenses but they will only be good for very close-focus). 

Install the FD/FL lens to the front of the bellows (which I would assume you have) and you're good to go. It does take a little fiddling to put the lens on properly so it stops down, but it works.

Be advised that the larger bodies (D/DS/DX lines) are too big as they will bump into the rail.

There are countless threads on the pros and cons of using any kind of adapter for the macro lenses themselves. For my FD 200mm F/4 macro, I installed an Ed Mika adapter ($75) to keep infinity focus. However, he is essentially a one man operation and, unfortunatley, he seems to be dealing with personal issues and is MIA. He did offer a commercial referral but with Covid-19...

Announcements