cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-DSLRs with Remote Live View capability

jwday
Contributor

Hi Community, 

I'm doing some research and trying to figure out what cameras are capable of Remote Live View. I currently have a Rebel T2i and Remote Live View works with it, but my budget is limited and I don't need a DSLR, so i'd like to find an alternative. Do PowerShots (for example) have that capability?

Furthermore, I'd like to use a tablet to control my future non-DSLR camera and use Remote live view. Are there any options for this as well? Ideally I'd like to use an Android tablet since they are inexpensive, but I am open to other options. Any information will be helpful because I am very new to the world of cameras!

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Some, or most of the Canon P&S's that can equal the Rebel in quality, cost nearly as much.  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

But I don't need something that can equal the Rebel in quality. Far from it. My application is going to be strictly for motionless, high-contrast grayscale photography. I'm really just looking for a camera with a decent amount of megapixels, so long as it can be tethered to an Android tablet for remote control and remote viewfinder purposes.

@jwday wrote:

But I don't need something that can equal the Rebel in quality. Far from it. My application is going to be strictly for motionless, high-contrast grayscale photography. I'm really just looking for a camera with a decent amount of megapixels, so long as it can be tethered to an Android tablet for remote control and remote viewfinder purposes.

Your stated requirements don't match anything I've ever experienced, and I'll bet the same could be said by most of the other participants. So unless you're willing to tell us more about the specific application you have in mind, it may be difficult for us to help you much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I probably wouldn't go Canon for that use.  I probably wouldn't even use a traditional camera.  Why not use a basic IP security camera like the Foscam:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI9821W-Megapixel-Wireless-Camera/dp/B00F3KWZW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

$100, and you can download a free Android app that allows you to pan/tilt the camera and take snapshots.

Bob,

The camera+tablet will be used for a shadow box. The camera will be placed a few feet above a backlit table where I will be placing items upon and taking pictures of them. The purpose is to quickly create a profile outline of each item by sending it to a computer to automatically trace i. The contrast needs to be high in order for the computer to accurately detect the edges of each item, and the picture needs to have a high enough resolution to provide enough detail for the computer to vectorize.

This doesn't require a fancy DSLR. In testing, I've been able to use my phone's camera to get a decent-enough picture that can be traced (using a Nokia Lumia 900 8MP camera). The reason I need it to be tethered to a tablet is because the camera will be physically out of reach when the setup is assembled, and I won't always have a ladder around. Also, I need to be able to upload the pictures online as soon as they are taken, which is why I need the tablet to have a cellular connection.

@Skirball, I don't think a security camera would have a high enough resolution to do what I need to do...

"I've been able to use my phone's camera to get a decent-enough picture that can be traced (using a Nokia Lumia 900 8MP camera)."

It looks like you already answered your own queston.  But I can not imagine a Rebel would not provide a far better high contrast photo.  It has a B&W setting and you can adjust the contrast in camera.

We did things like what you are doing at Hallmark 20 years ago.  We created a NC laser path with it.

Have you tried a powered USB cabel? They can run a Rebel from more than 75 feet!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@jwday wrote:

The camera+tablet will be used for a shadow box. The camera will be placed a few feet above a backlit table where I will be placing items upon and taking pictures of them. The purpose is to quickly create a profile outline of each item by sending it to a computer to automatically trace i. The contrast needs to be high in order for the computer to accurately detect the edges of each item, and the picture needs to have a high enough resolution to provide enough detail for the computer to vectorize.

This doesn't require a fancy DSLR. In testing, I've been able to use my phone's camera to get a decent-enough picture that can be traced (using a Nokia Lumia 900 8MP camera). The reason I need it to be tethered to a tablet is because the camera will be physically out of reach when the setup is assembled, and I won't always have a ladder around. Also, I need to be able to upload the pictures online as soon as they are taken, which is why I need the tablet to have a cellular connection.

There's no need to have a WiFi connection for that, just use a USB cable and tether it.  Buy a used Rebel, like a 450D or something; you should be able to find one for next to nothing.  Tether it and do all your shooting via laptop.  Stick a continuous backlight behind it with a white screen.  Should be simple.

Announcements