cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New format

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

IMHO, the old format was easier to navigate. Everything was on one screen. Now it seems I have to take extra steps to find different boards/subjects, etc. Sorry but I'm not impressed.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
13 REPLIES 13

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Tintype_18 wrote:

"IMHO, the old format was easier to navigate. Everything was on one screen. Now it seems I have to take extra steps to find different boards/subjects, etc. Sorry but I'm not impressed."

I'm beyond "not impressed", and very disappointed for the reasons you pointed out. I've seen this type of Forum layout at other sites and don't particularly care for it. The email I received stated "over the coming months", so maybe they will improve navigation.

I may be missing it, but there is no way to see if a post has new comments. I also can't find our user photos section. I like to look at others images, and just not to see what others are shooting, but initial camera settings and how they compare to mine for similar subjects. I could probably find more, but we'll see.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm willing to try a few more days, but so far it's indeed quite awkward.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

And add in that editing posts seems to only work 50% of the time.  Just got an unexpected error and then after reloading, the edit post option did nothing.   Anyhow, here's the edit:

"I do want to add though that it looks much more detailed now on Retina-style (super high-res) screens.  All UI artwork, default avatars, etc are very crisp.  With the exception though of the avatar in the quick-reply box".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I agree, Ricky, graphics look great, but it may be due to them being slightly larger. I have a plain HD display on my laptop and a 26" SHD external.

Another thing I am noticing is lag between clicking stuff and it popping up, sometimes 4 seconds or more. At first, I would click twice and if a link was in the same position on the page as the one I initially clicked, my second mouse click took effect and took me to that link, LOL. It only took a couple of times to catch on. Be patient, heh. I did like the "hints" in the old spell checker when you ran your mouse over the word. I guess that's a goner.

I'm hoping for better results. Khoros is just getting started here.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree.  Navigation is a little cumbersome.  Trying to like it....   but, not a fan thus far.

I liked the linear layout of the old forum a little better.  This change will grow on us I'm sure.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

This change will grow on us I'm sure.  

So does a fungus. Very disappointed in this format.

John

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

John

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There are some things I like about the new interface: 
It is a clean and less cluttered display and the "buttons" stand out quite well.  Also, one can now add and format multiple images when posting - both good. 
On other other hand, I am a bit disappointed that the 5MB limit still applies, but I have some sympathy about the amount of storage - although storage is cheap and Canon is not short of a penny...
YES, I TOO DO miss the category for posting images to share, so the one time I have approached this I had to revert to the General Discussion thread - bit I think this is an inelegant solution and would like to see the image posting category returned (with its previous contents, if possible).  Like my colleagues, I love to see, appreciate and give feedback on others' images and look forward to getting the same in return.  Please do consider this!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The new format is different.  It will take a little getting used to.  So far, I am not a fan of the previews, which makes scrolling more of an effort.  I hope there is an option somewhere to turn that feature off.  My jury is still out.  My reaction so far is simple.  It’s different.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements