cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need more sorting options in threads

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I think there are some great features in the new interface, and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into refreshing it.  However, in threads I have an issue with how posts can be displayed.  When threads start to become longer and more complex: with multiple posts and responses, it becomes increasingly difficult to find what the latest posts are.  I get an email that there is a new post, but end up scrolling down, and down trying to find it.

I am hoping the folks supporting the interface could set up a very simple sort option, based on strict chronological order - which would be much like the previous interface, but could be sorted my oldest to newest or in reverse, with the posts given numbers.  If someone posts a response, it could have a note indicating what post number it was.

That way one can find the latest posts and connect them to other ones.  If necessary we could then switch the sort order to have them nested as they are now, but at least we could find them.

Again, I realize a lot of work has gone into this, but in threads that become long and complex, it is just too cumbersome.

Respectfully yours

Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I agree with Trevor’s observation and recommendation.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm having some better luck with the following settings:

• Preferences | Display | Format for displaying posts (set to Linear format)
  • Preferences | Linear Layout | Linear Format: Sorting order within topics (set to Newest first)
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

John_SD
Whiz

The forum is an amateurish, ungodly mess in comparison to the camera forums of Nikon and Sony. And the Canon USA site is also clunky and not well put together. i have little hope that Canon will ever be able to produce a professional, well-polished site. 

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Tronhard !

The thread default is set to display chronologically, old to new but can be customized to your preference as @rs-eos  mentioned. Let me know if these settings help with your experience. We are constantly working on enhancements and we recently updated the engine to help bring fresh content to the front of the line. There is much more to come! 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have tried that, and in fact the game changer for me was to set the display up for printer friendly mode.  It cleaned up the screen and helped, and I added a general condition setting as well.  Thank you for your response, I DO appreciate that you and your team are working hard to make an ever-better engagement interface.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements