cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens recommendation please

gonilho2
Apprentice

I'm planning to purchase the Canon R8, mainly for personal use—capturing family moments, travel, and similar occasions. Photography is a hobby for me, so I’m not looking to monetize my work.

Could you recommend a versatile lens for both video and photography? I’m considering the RF 50mm f/1.8, which seems like a great value at around $99 refurbished. I’d also like a good option for video and am looking at the RF 24-105mm f/4L. Do you think this lens will provide smooth, quiet autofocus for video?

Also, do I need to invest in a variable ND filter for outdoor videos, or would a 2 or 3-stop solid ND filter work well with an f/4 lens?

If you have any other recommendations, I'd really appreciate your input.

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Video and travel stills photography tend to lead towards different optics.
For video, you likely want a wide to very wide angle lens,   Frankly, a good cell phone these days can do a great job for video and it's something you will likely always have.  So, for economic reasons, not getting a specific video lens would let you concentrate on the travel/general photography optic.

Certainly, I think a prime lens is going to be very limited for travel whereas something with a focal range from wide angle to moderate telephoto would be a good unit.

If cost and compactness are an issue, you can get both by going to the APS-C line of cameras.  The R8 is a full-frame unit, which will make the lenses much bulkier and generally more expensive, whereas a body like the Canon EOS R10 will cost less, be smaller and use much more compact optics to achieve the same focal performance.

If that was interesting, I would suggest an EOS R10, with the following optics:
RF-S 18-150mm IS STM lens: such a combination can be purchased as a refurbished unit with the R10 body for $1,019.00 - see: Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |  These units may be over-stock, new but opened box, demo or show units, but are 'good as new' and come with a Canon 1-year warranty.

So, to help us to help you.  What is your $value budget for optics?
What are you prepared to carry in terms of bulk?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As always Trevor has asked the right questions.  

I might recommend the R8 and RF24-70 f2.8.  I might compliment it with a RF100-400.  The 24-70 L is quiet for video.  I use mine frequently.

Canon also offers a RF28-70 f2.8 (non L), and a variable aperture RF24-105 f4~7.1 if budget is limited.  Lenses are the real investment in photography.  My preference is full frame, but the R10 is a great body.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I prefer full frame any time, and like the R8, I'm trying to look at the cheaper options because the OP mentioned a cheap lens but maybe that was a misinterpretation.  I guess we need to know the budget (as usual!) to know what the OP will tolerate financially.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements