cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS the forum broken?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I kep getting an "unexpected" error when I enter the main page of the forum.

15 REPLIES 15

Kristin,
yes the forum is broken, I took down my critical view of it.

As for your camera. Are you able to get into your settings or menu at all? IF SO, go into RESET to FACTORY SETTINGS

It wont change your global settings time date etc...

I would try that first

Let us know if that helped but its where to start troubleshooting

Unfortunately, I can't even see the menus.  There's nothing to scroll through at all because everything is blacked out completely.  The camera appears to be working, but a lot of good the thing does me when I can't see a thing through the camera itself.  (None of the view finders work, and there's no menu/text that shows up).

All I can do is randomly press buttons on the camera.  The buttons sound like they're working, and it does take photos.  I know it isn't broken in that respect, but its of zero use to me since all I can do now is blindly (and I mean that literally) snap a photo that I can't even see until after I upload it to the computer.  It's insane! 

Kristin

Kristen,

oh thats not good/  Perhaps the link the moderator sent might get you farther than on this thread.

What camera are you running?

You can Check  for recalls or other probs  (on this site theres a list) other ppl may be having w. that model, and they may know what the issue is if its a common prob. or something is needing to be sent in for repair.  I found a motherboard recall on my 70D I just bought from a friend, so Ill have them clean it up too while its at the hospital  Lots may be unloading dslrs to move to mirrorless, and there's some deals out there if this fix gets too spendy.  Just an idea.

You can also ask the question when you call into Canon itself.  WHile a technician can troubleshoot over the phone with you, there might be some little thing that is overlooked.  (HOPE SO)

Id try calling tomorrow, but meanwhile sounds like you have some research.  Good luck and let us know what happens.

Kristin_Texas
Contributor

And now my camera is officially broken.  (cry). I know what I did.  I accidentally plugged in to the camera the smaller side of the usb cable, rather than the correct/larger one. 

NOTHING I tried was working, so this time I plugged in the smaller sized one into the port again - to see if it would just jumpstart the LCD screen/viewfinder since plugging it in correctly wasn't doing that.

So now the camera doesn't work at all. It is dead as a door nail.

It is insane that something as simple as accidentally plugging in the wrong side of the cable can kill your camera so easily.  I've had this camera for several years now, and other than the focus being a problem, I've been pretty happy with it.

Not anymore.  No camera should be THAT sensitive.  It isn't like it was dropped or anything.

So here it is Christmastime and I no longer have a camera.  The only reason I went all out in decorating this year was because I wanted to take so many photos and video.

Kristin

Kristin,

oh no, thats terrible.  Im sorry to hear that.  I have not heard of any of the cameras being that sensitive before.  But when your dealing with electronics, yikes...

I would certainly look into getting it repaired.  (maybe, depending on what you found out)

I have a camera Ive been thinking about selling, it has about 3,000 clicks on it (they compare it to miles on a car, so practiclay new)  I dont know what you had been using to know if youd be interested in a quick fix for low cost while you think about getting yours fixed.  

This is not a good time of year for that to happen either.  So many nice things to see/ shoot/ share.  I usually remove the SD card and download my photos right into the computer, although I have used the cord to camera too, but it seems to take longer.  

My camera im thinking about selling is an SL1 and I would throw in the bag, macro filter, extension tubes, remote trigger, polizer, ND filters (for long exp) a couple of lenses.  If interested I can give you more details.

Liz

Well, it's my fault.  I did plug in the wrong end of the cable, and then broke my broken camera even more.  (Although I do think a camera shouldn't die from something like that.  Cameras are so expensive that I think they should be able to handle a lot).

I would imagine having it repaired - before I broke the darn thing even further - would have been almost as expensive (or the same) as buying a new camera, so I wouldn't have bothered.  Then there's the problem of where I live.  I live sort of out in the country so there are no repair shops like that nearby and having packages sent out - and especially delivered - to/from a PO Box is a nightmare.  (That's an understatement actually).

I was pretty upset over it last night, but s-l-o-w-l-y came to terms with it.  I learned my lesson, and my mother told me that I can always borrow her new phone for those photos I want to take of my Christmas decorations.  She finally broke down recently and bought an Android PIxel 3, and I hear it takes great photos.  I've just never taken pictures from a phone before.  (I don't even own an iPhone. lol!)  We'll see how a phone camera compares to my Canon Powershot SX50 HS..... may it rest in peace.

So now I think I'll go pet the old camera, tell her how much I loved her and how I already miss her... and then send her to her watery grave in my neighbor's pond.  She was a good friend to me through all these years.  (Ah, yes.  The pain is real.  That camera wasn't perfect, but it was the best one I've ever had).

Kristin

Announcements