cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was "pro" photographer for 20+ years, but had stroke

Trekker
Contributor

Sold all my heavy professional lenses and bodies and I am now in need of a new camera:

1. lightweight
  2. built-in zoom lens
  3. bulky grip
  4. large sensor
  5. buttons that are not crammed-together

The trend in cameras now is to cram as much as possible into the thinnest, smallest body, but I need bigger to hold onto. Using only one hand, I find that my fingers inadvertently push buttons and change settings. (I'm open to an older model if it's "refurbished").

Any advice? THANKS!!

22 REPLIES 22

I've been considered buying a "G" Series camera, but have run into one major stumbling block, at least for me.  Most of the "G" Series cameras do not have a viewfinder. None of them do, or have, "everything" that I want. 

I wanted a more compact camera for reasons that have already been cited, I have found need for a small compact camera to take places where a DSLR cannot go.  Some good examples of places with camera restrictions is Madison Square Garden, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and most museums and zoos..

The G5 and G16 have a viewfinder built into the camera.  The G1 and G3 cameras have an optional viewfinder.  So far my choice has been the G3 (24-600mm) over the G1X Mark II (24-120mm).  And, then there is the sensor size differences.  I am far, far from being decided.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The problem with folks going 'back' from a a good DSLR to a G is they want the same thing in that P&S.  It ain't gonna happen.  At least not right now, maybe in the future.

BTW all, at least most all, the Canon G's back from the G1x have a viewfinder.  Somewhat useless but never-the-less they do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The problem with folks going 'back' from a a good DSLR to a G is they want the same thing in that P&S.  It ain't gonna happen.  At least not right now, maybe in the future.

BTW all, at least most all, the Canon G's back from the G1x have a viewfinder.  Somewhat useless but never-the-less they do.

Here's the back of a G9 and the G5.

Back_Of_G9.jpg     Back_Of_G5.jpg

Unless you mean the LCD screen, the G9 has no viewfinder, and neither is their an option to add one.

"... all, at least most all, the Canon G's ..."

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Here's the back of a G9 and the G5.

Back_Of_G9.jpg     Back_Of_G5.jpg

Unless you mean the LCD screen, the G9 has no viewfinder, and neither is their an option to add one.

That's a G5?? I don't think so. Maybe a G5X. I once had a G5. and it sure didn't look much like that.

It did have a viewfinder, BTW.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, that is the G5 X, not a G5. 

All i wanted to point out that many point and shoots have no viewfinder, and that could be deal breaker for someone used to professional grade DSLR cameras.  Both the G3 X and the G1 X Mark II have an optional viewfinder, at a significant cost relative to the cost of the camera.

"...  for someone used to professional grade DSLR cameras."

That is why I assumed you would be looking for a P&S like the G12, G15, G16, G1x, etc and not the obviously rejected ones. Perhaps I assume too much?

EB

Thanks for your input! My dilemma is that, lthough many cameras have the sensor and/or features that I want, they are too small for me to grip 😞

@Trekker wrote:

Thanks for your input! My dilemma is that, lthough many cameras have the sensor and/or features that I want, they are too small for me to grip 😞

How about a 7D (or 7D Mark II) with a battery grip?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sold my 7Ds because the lenses are too heavy and awkward to hold with my stroke-affected hands...an ideal camera would be something like a SX60 HS, but with a BIGGER sensor. A sensor that's a tiny 1/2.3" just can't do the job.

Announcements