cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was "pro" photographer for 20+ years, but had stroke

Trekker
Contributor

Sold all my heavy professional lenses and bodies and I am now in need of a new camera:

1. lightweight
  2. built-in zoom lens
  3. bulky grip
  4. large sensor
  5. buttons that are not crammed-together

The trend in cameras now is to cram as much as possible into the thinnest, smallest body, but I need bigger to hold onto. Using only one hand, I find that my fingers inadvertently push buttons and change settings. (I'm open to an older model if it's "refurbished").

Any advice? THANKS!!

22 REPLIES 22

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It seems like your requirements are in conflict.... 

I see that you had big camera bodies and lots of L series lenses.  The first thing I *would* have considered would have been switching to an EOS-M body (which can use all your EOS lenese) -- but then I noticed you sold them.

Also, the EOS-M bodies aren't particularly "big".

I've got a Powershot G1 X which, for a Powershot is "big" and it's sensor is an 80% crop of an APS-C sensor (I think it's still technically the largest sensor for any point & shoot camera -- it's technically an "advanced" point & shoot because you still get all the modes you would have and know on an EOS DLSR (the G series are often used as additional cameras by those who already own a DSLR.  I use mine in locations where it's either not permitted or not practical to bring the DSLR.). The G1 X II has a 1.5" sensor (80% of the size of an APS-C sensor) and is the LARGEST sensor of any advanced point & shoot.  To get bigger, you would need to look for a camera with removeable lenses.

But as large as a G1 X is (and it's bigger than any other G series body), I still find the controls somewhat crammed.  This makes me wonder if you wouldn't be happer with an EOS Rebel SL1 (the rumor mills are thinking it's probably time for Canon to release an SL2 since the SL1 has been out quite a number of years.).   Anyway, the SL1 is the most "compact" size body of any DSLR in the industry.

I'm a bit worried that you'll find most advanced point & shoot bodies (even those with bigger sensors like the G1 X) to be a bit cramped.  I would at least look at the G1 X II because if that isn't big enough then there's no point at even looking at any other Canon Powershot (nothing else will be bigger or offer a larger sensor size.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'm looking for someting that probably doesn't exist (like a Sasquatch or a Loch Ness Monster, haha).

I had considered the G1X Mark II, but was concerned about the reviews that claim:

• Image quality is not commensurate with sensor size.

•  

Poor low light performance and poor dynamic range.

• Noise at high ISOs
  • Banding at low ISOs
  •  

Slow AF.

•  

Cluttered rear controls.

•  

Menus are slow and unresponsive.

•  

Continuous shooting is poor.

•  

Only single-point AF is available in continuous shooting.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Sorry, I don't have the Mk II.  But as to the original, yeah, it probably has all that.  It isn't a 1 series after all. It is a P&S.  If you want top drawer performance stick with your 1 series.  You want excellent photos from a smaller package get the G1x or Mk II.

Want better get the Canon EOS M3 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens.  (But it still won't be a 1 series camera.)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I was/am a "pro", whatever that is, for over 40 years and counting.  I got a G15 when they came out and loved it.  I got a G1x a while ago, I believe they are discontinued now.  Anyway I love it even more.  It is large for a P&S but ti does everything your 1 series did.  Metal frame. Good wieght.  Flip ot LCD. Large semsor for P&S. Just about everything.  The lens is great, IQ wise, but a little on the slow side as P&S's go.

I am a die hard anti-mirrorless camera guy.  But I must say the Canon EOS M3 Mirrorless Digital Camera is pretty interesting.  I will probably get one.  I have played around with them and they are pretty darn good.  Just not up to DSLR standards yet but close.  BTW, using your EF lenses on one isn't s real good idea.  I guess it works but that is about all I will say for it.  You might be OK with it but not for me.

See if you can still find a G1x.  I think you will like it.  Personally I don't like the replacement G1x II.  But you might.  Otherwise check out the Canon EOS M3 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens.  It's on sale right now.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I was/am a "pro", whatever that is, for over 40 years and counting.  I got a G15 when they came out and loved it.  I got a G1x a while ago, I believe they are discontinued now.  Anyway I love it even more.  It is large for a P&S but ti does everything your 1 series did.  Metal frame. Good wieght.  Flip ot LCD. Large semsor for P&S. Just about everything.  The lens is great, IQ wise, but a little on the slow side as P&S's go.

I am a die hard anti-mirrorless camera guy.  But I must say the Canon EOS M3 Mirrorless Digital Camera is pretty interesting.  I will probably get one.  I have played around with them and they are pretty darn good.  Just not up to DSLR standards yet but close.  BTW, using your EF lenses on one isn't s real good idea.  I guess it works but that is about all I will say for it.  You might be OK with it but not for me.

See if you can still find a G1x.  I think you will like it.  Personally I don't like the replacement G1x II.  But you might.  Otherwise check out the Canon EOS M3 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens.  It's on sale right now.

Other than the weight it adds to what is intended to be a lightweight camera, what is the drawback to using EF lenses on an M3?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

AF Focus.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

AF Focus.

Slower? Less accurate?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

SLower to not at all.

EB

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I'm looking for someting that probably doesn't exist (like a Sasquatch or a Loch Ness Monster, haha).

I had considered the G1X Mark II, but was concerned about the reviews that claim:

• Image quality is not commensurate with sensor size

• Poor low light performance and poor dynamic range.

• Noise at high ISOs.
  • Banding at low ISOs.
  • Slow AF.

• Cluttered rear controls.

• Menus are slow and unresponsive.

• Continuous shooting is poor.

• Only single-point AF is available in continuous shooting.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Announcements