cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to choose a camera!!!

julietap
Apprentice

Hi, i need to choose a camera to buy. i would like great photo quality, good focus, short time lag when processing the photos, good zoom and easy to travel. which you recommend? i am not professional but i love talking photos and i would love to learn to take great photos!

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Just about every model selling for $200 & up can take great photos in the right hands. You'll need to be a bit more specific on what types of things you want to shoot well, especially if action is one of them. Physical size & budget can also dictate what fits your needs. Most people think the camera takes the photo but in actual fact the camera operator takes it & if they have a good understanding of the camera (learn it's features & controls from the manual) plus apply some good technique they'll get good results. Holding a  camera at arms length to see what's on the display, especially when doing it one handed is BAD technique. Far better to use the viewfinder (they don't always have one) & hold it against your faae to keep it steady.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thanks a lot for your reply! i am bying the camera to take photos to my six months  baby and to have to use in every special ocassion, etc.....i would like to know if there is a significant difference in the quality of the photo betwwen a powershot (ex. sx 40, sx 50) and a eos rebel camera. Because the powershot is mory cheap and its size is more convinient, but if photos are much better in a eos i would choose one of this. what should i do?????/!!!!!!

besides, a x50 zoom such as one you get in a sx50 how is it compare with a 18-135mm lens in a eos rebel t3??????  

I'm not familiar with many P & S cameras but in general a DSLR has a few important things going for it when compared to a P & S shooting action. The AF systems are faster & they have negligable shutter lag. They also produce better images when comparing 2 cameras with similar megapixel specs due to the larger sensor (which is just starting to be used in some high end P & S style cameras like the G 1X).

Re the lenses on the SX 40 & SX50 compared to the 18-135 there is a big diffenence when it comes to shooting things that are far away because both of the SX models have lenses covering a HUGE range, which may hurt their image quality a bit due to design compromises. In most cases many photographers feel that even a 10:1 zoom risks IQ for versatility, so a 40:1 & 50:1 are really stretching things.

Hopefully a few others will add their opinions but until then I'll tell you that years ago I gave my daughter my old 20D (after an upgrade) and Sigma 18-200 lens because she was going to become a mother & would be where you are now. She's got some awesome photos using them and has never felt limited by them even though there's newer gear on the market. To date she hasn't even felt the need to buy a separate flash & gets by using the built in flash within it's limits. About 3 years ago my stepdaughter got married & then eventually pregnant and due to a limited budget she bought the cheapest DSLR & kit lens available (A Nikon) and it too has provided very good images. Keep in mind they both had some coaching on how to use the cameras & someone to call whenn a detailed explination was needed plus they both been exposed to photography vs just taking photos thanks to my long time passion towards the hobby.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements