Deciding On A Camera

Summer16
Contributor
Hello all,

I have been having a hard time trying to find information about a couple cameras, so decided to try this discussion site.
I have an old canon EOS 20D and am looking a getting a new body.
First off: do all camera lens fit on all bodies?
I need a camera that's in the $600 and under price range. I found the Canon Rebel T5i, the Rebel T56, and the EOS 70D. With 70D you obviously get more for your money sense it's around $999.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras or know of a camera that's in my budget? If so, that would be great! There is so many cameras, it's hard to find one that will last me awhile and has good image quality! I also loved the video idea, and most cameras now days include that.
The built in Wi-Fi would be very useful, but is probably only seen in more expensive cameras.

If anyone has ideas that would be helpful!

23 REPLIES 23

Summer16
Contributor
I think the 70D is out of my price range anyway.
The Canon Rebel T5i has my interest. I'm not a professional photographer (yet!) so I don't need the best possible camera. I've been researching the T5i and it seems like a good camera. And it's priced at $479 referbished

Does anyone know about this camera?

Summer16
Contributor
Oh really? Okay. I will take a look. I am just on a tight budget and assumed the T6i would've out of my price range.

Any other improvements on the T6i?

Summer,

The Rebel T6i is way more camera than most amateurs require. It has all the latest features a DSLR has to offer.  It will do stills, video and has wi-fi.

Wi-fi lets you connect via a wireless network to various devices for picture sharing, printing, and downloading. Is that what you want?

The Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens is about $700 brand new.  Not refurbished. Fortunately it won't be too hard to get a camera that is very much better than the 20D.

What lenses do you have already?  If it is was kit lens, the new ones are much better too.  And they are a good buy when you get it with the camera in a kit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I found the Canon Rebel T5i, the Rebel T56, and the EOS 70D. With 70D you obviously get more for your money sense it's around $999."

IMHO, the 70D offers you nothing the T6i doesn't.  Actually it may not be as good for you.  I would drop that idea.

The T5i is what the T6i is replacing and is not any cheaper, I don't believe.  If it is it isn't much.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I found the Canon Rebel T5i, the Rebel T56, and the EOS 70D. With 70D you obviously get more for your money sense it's around $999."

IMHO, the 70D offers you nothing the T6i doesn't.  ...

AFMA.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Summer16
Contributor
ebiggs1 - Thank you for the information! Do you happen to know how long it will take for the T6i to be around $500? (Referbished)
Would it take another year? I want to get one around the end of June, and I'm on a tight budget!
The 24MP on the T6i would be really great, and the Wi-fi.

Here are my lenses:
Tamron AF 28-300
Tamron SP AF 17-35
Sigma 50mm Macro

@Summer16 wrote:
ebiggs1 - Thank you for the information! Do you happen to know how long it will take for the T6i to be around $500? (Referbished)
Would it take another year? I want to get one around the end of June, and I'm on a tight budget!
The 24MP on the T6i would be really great, and the Wi-fi.

Here are my lenses:
Tamron AF 28-300
Tamron SP AF 17-35
Sigma 50mm Macro

I have found the Wi-Fi on my 6D to be a feature that I have never put to use.  Remember this, just because a device claims that it is "Wi-Fi or wireless", that does not mean that the device is networkable on a LAN. 

Bluetooth devices are wireless, and are not networkable.  Some smart phones are both wireless and Wi-Fi enabled [for internet use at a free Wi-Fi hotspot somewhere], but also not networkable.

Wireless_NFC.PNG

That diagram shows you what the 80D can do with its' wireless capabilities. 

The T5i is an 18MP camera.  The T6i and T6s are 24MP cameras.  The 70D is a 20.2MP camera, and as someone has noted has AFMA, auto focus micro-adjustment, which allows you to tune each lens to the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Summer,

I would still rather see you get the T6i.  I just checked the refurb store and the EOS Rebel T6i EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished is $550.  Just $50 over your budget.  Maybe save just a bit longer?  The T5i is really just a T4i with a 5 put it its name.  So it is actually two models older.  The T6i got better stuff,

The xxD series gets some more advanced things like more metal in the body but mostly things the advanced amateur wants.  Top LCD. Bigger buffer. Wi-fi. More cross type focus points, etc. You must decide if that is you.  It has features you may not want or ever make use of.  Focus adjustment may well be one as well.

I have no idea what the pricing will be but if you don't have it you can't take any pictures.  So how much is that worth?  It is really hard to figure how Canon prices some of the refurb stuff.  

If you are really serious about getting into photography, you may want to wait for a xxD.  But a T6i can still take you a long way.

18 MP (T5i) vs 24 MP (T6i) in post, cropping and printing, can make a significant difference.  18 MP (T5i) vs 20 MP (70D) not so much.

So I still recommend the  EOS Rebel T6i EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished at $550 for you.

Good luck,

EB

EB

Summer16
Contributor
Yes. I don't think being able to send photos from the camera, or connecting it to other devices is worth $200-$300 more.
I was looking at it mainly because of the 24MP. And if I really start getting more into photography, it might be nice to have a camera with more MP for editing in Photoshop or printing.

I will probably stick with the T5i though. Thank you guys for the information!

Will the T5i drop any lower in price at the end of June or would it be a better idea to get it while Canon has the $160 rebate?

I'm new to this discussion site...Maybe I shouldstart a whole new question. Ha.

@Summer16 wrote:
Yes. I don't think being able to send photos from the camera, or connecting it to other devices is worth $200-$300 more.
I was looking at it mainly because of the 24MP. And if I really start getting more into photography, it might be nice to have a camera with more MP for editing in Photoshop or printing.

I will probably stick with the T5i though. Thank you guys for the information!

Will the T5i drop any lower in price at the end of June or would it be a better idea to get it while Canon has the $160 rebate?

I'm new to this discussion site...Maybe I shouldstart a whole new question. Ha.

Who's to say what the pricing will be come the end of June?  I am not aware of the Canon rebate.  When I last checked last week, the 70D was selling at the Canon Online Refurbished store for less than a Rebel T5i at most retailers.

I trust the reliability of gear from the Canon Refurbished Outlet more than new gear from a dealer.  Their refurbished gear is checked by Canon technicians, and is virtually indistinguishable from new gear....except for the box.  The stuff even has that new gear smell to it. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements