cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon FL/QL 35mm camera

scorpio012
Enthusiast

Hello, My Dad recently passed way and in one his cabinets was this camera and the only markings I can find on it are what I posted in the subject line, FL/QL 35mm.  It was one of my Dad's favorite camera's and I would like to use it if I can.  It takes a PX625A battery and would like to know if anyone can tell me where the best place is to where I can buy some?  I've looked on Amazon, but the only batteries I coyuld find all had terrible reviews.  Any help would vbe appreciated.  Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would go with a MRB625 which is a zinc/air type cell which is readily available with a very similar voltage/load curve to the mercury cell. These cells are still readily available.

NOTE:  zinc/air cells have a very stable output over their operating life but life varies dramatically based upon the environment (heat and humidity) and low heat and high humidity result in very rapid depletion because these cells rely upon the moisture content of their paste electrolyte "fuel" in addition to oxidation via air so they cannot be sealed against the environment. Do not try to extend their life via exposure to excessive humitidy as this will also reduce cell life.  They have an extremely lohg shelf life as long as the original package seal is still intact but be sure of the quality of the source when buying because if the package isn't properly sealed they will have a short (or no) life left when you put them into service. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Amazon is a breeding ground for counterfeit camera batteries and memory cards.  Try B&H Photo Video out of NYC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for such a quick reply and I will follow your advice and visit their website.

Try Batteries Plus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The PX625 batteries are a bit of a unicorn, but they are available. The fact that they are a mercury cell is what makes them provide a steady voltage that is especially suited for camera and light meter usage. But the use of mercury also keeps them from being produced in most countries, though it looks like they can sourced from Russia.

A search of "PX625 Camerapedia" will get you some more info and history on these batteries and possibly a source for purchase. I'll need to find a few myself someday if I ever want to fire up my old Canon EF or FT-QL. They both are a fine "brick" of a camera.

Thank you for the help.

I would go with a MRB625 which is a zinc/air type cell which is readily available with a very similar voltage/load curve to the mercury cell. These cells are still readily available.

NOTE:  zinc/air cells have a very stable output over their operating life but life varies dramatically based upon the environment (heat and humidity) and low heat and high humidity result in very rapid depletion because these cells rely upon the moisture content of their paste electrolyte "fuel" in addition to oxidation via air so they cannot be sealed against the environment. Do not try to extend their life via exposure to excessive humitidy as this will also reduce cell life.  They have an extremely lohg shelf life as long as the original package seal is still intact but be sure of the quality of the source when buying because if the package isn't properly sealed they will have a short (or no) life left when you put them into service. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you very much for your help and the info you provided for me.  It sounds like that will be a better option the the mercury cells.  I'm not sure how old my Dad's camera is, but maybe it's possible that there weren't as many regulations back then regarding mercury cells?  Thanks again

You can always buy a hand held light meter and shoot manual.  Just like we did it in the good ole days!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are also phone apps that act like light meters. Kind of Old-Meets-New.

Announcements