cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 10 X 30 IS Binoculars - sticky Rubber Coating

ahofmann531
Apprentice

I have a 10 X 30 IS binocular [serial number deleted for privacy].  The rubberized coating is disintegrating and has become very sticky.  I see others have had this problem with other high end models.  How do I improve the condition or get them repaired?  They work perfectly but are very uncomfortable to use.

52 REPLIES 52

Guess what!  When I authorized the $250 I immediately received a revised quote for $475 for a major repair required to fix a "focus problem" i didn't know I had!  I called and they advised that the housing holding the optics would have to take place to solve the sticky rubber problem!  I said absolutely NO. Send them back!  All of the sudden there was a 40% discount offer and I was back to the ~$250 range.  I accepted again.  I will let you know on the SN.  I think the SN is printed in/on the housing which they will have to replace so i'm thinking there will be a new number.  Amazing they still don't acknowledge the problem.

Wow! That's crazy. It's really not surprising, though, that they still refuse to acknowledge the problem. Once they made the initial business decision not to take any responsibility, they had to stick by it (pun intended). Otherwise, all those customers that paid for the "repair" in the past would want to be compensated. IMHO, the way this was handled is grounds for a class action lawsuit but I'll leave that to the lawyers. Personally, I'd pay $250 just to see all the internal corporate memos and emails on this subject from the past ten years or so but, unfortunately, I don't have a spare subpoena on me. 😁

Just received a new pair of binoculars for those I sent in for repair of the sticky problem.  Cost me $253.

Thanks for following up. That's what I figured they would do. There's really no way to get them back to "like new" condition without completely disassembling and reapplying the coating to the housing. In the meantime, I have gotten mine back into usable (non-sticky) condition by following the advice of a couple of others to dust them with talcum powder once or twice a day for a few days, which somehow absorbs or otherwise neutralizes the stickiness of the disintegrating coating. I'll probably have to repeat the process every few weeks but I'd rather do that than give Canon another $250. Thanks again for posting your outcome. Take care and enjoy your new binos!

ironrod7
Apprentice

Same problem and mine were stored inside a cabinet the last 8 years, sparingly used and no oils or chemicals have touched the casing of the binoculars.   CANNON YOU OWE US A FIX.

Tajarvis
Contributor

I received a new pair for my $253 repair.

gmasami1
Apprentice

I notice there is a solid, non-sticky surface under the sticky rubber. I can scratch the sticky rubber off.  You can leave some of the sticky rubber to maintain some grip.  You only need to scrape the areas your fingers will touch while gripping the binoculars.

Tajarvis
Contributor

Not my way of fixing things!  

jkzt1000
Contributor

My dad has a Canon IS 10x30 that had duct tape wrapped around it because it was so sticky.  I used rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) and a lot of paper towels to remove all the stickiness.  It took about an hour and looks really good after.  Before, sticky with duct tape gripBefore, sticky with duct tape gripAfter cleaning with alcoholAfter cleaning with alcohol

Very good to know. I hope the stickiness does not recur.

I checked with the guy who sprayed his sticky Canon binocs with clear spray. It had held up for a year. So, after masking the lens, battery cover and  I followed his advice and sprayed mine. So far, so good. A BIG difference.

I join others in saying SHAME ON CANON for producing such an expensive, faulty pair of binoculars and not standing behind them regardless of the warranty.

Announcements