cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF Cards

Liz22012
Contributor

I have been considering picking up a 7D and was wondering if the CF cards will be an issue.  What I mean by this is in time will we not be able to purchase the cards.  Seems like less stores carry them and makes one wonder if the will be phased out.

Any thoughts?

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

I don't think there's anything to worry about for some time yet. Canon still puts a CF card slot in it's high end cameras & for good reason. CF cards have been very reliable & have fast write speeds. I've had 3 or 4 SD cards split open & the lock tab fall out rendering them useless. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks.  I was thinking the same.

Not only Canon's 5D Mk III and 1Dx, but Nikon's top of the line, D4, D4s, still has a CF slot.

I vastly prefer them over SD cards, too.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@cicopo wrote:

I don't think there's anything to worry about for some time yet. Canon still puts a CF card slot in it's high end cameras & for good reason. CF cards have been very reliable & have fast write speeds. I've had 3 or 4 SD cards split open & the lock tab fall out rendering them useless. 

A CF card is also much harder (well, at least a little harder) to lose.

Incidentally, the 1DX still has two CF slots and no SD slot. So if you pretend you own a 1DX, you should always be able to get CF cards.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@cicopo wrote:

I don't think there's anything to worry about for some time yet. Canon still puts a CF card slot in its high end cameras ... 

I think I've mentioned this before, but it probably bears repeating. On the 5D3 (and I suppose also the 7D2) you can set the camera to use one specific card by preference, but fail over to the other one if the preferred card is full or missing. So suppose, with both card slots filled, you set the camera to use the CF card. You take some pictures, on the preferred (CF) card, and then take that card out to put it in your card reader. The camera, sensing that the CF card is missing, immediately fails over to the second (SD) card. When you've finished reading the CF card, you put it back into the camera. You might expect the camera to notice that the CF card is now present and revert to your original setting (i.e., use the CF card first), but it does not. To restore the original setting, you have to set ti again manually.

The punch line is that this behavior occurs, even if the camera is turned off during the entire time the CF card is out of the camera!

Very annoying.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

I don't think there's anything to worry about for some time yet. Canon still puts a CF card slot in its high end cameras ... 

I think I've mentioned this before, but it probably bears repeating. On the 5D3 (and I suppose also the 7D2) you can set the camera to use one specific card by preference, but fail over to the other one if the preferred card is full or missing. So suppose, with both card slots filled, you set the camera to use the CF card. You take some pictures, on the preferred (CF) card, and then take that card out to put it in your card reader. The camera, sensing that the CF card is missing, immediately fails over to the second (SD) card. When you've finished reading the CF card, you put it back into the camera. You might expect the camera to notice that the CF card is now present and revert to your original setting (i.e., use the CF card first), but it does not. To restore the original setting, you have to set ti again manually.

The punch line is that this behavior occurs, even if the camera is turned off during the entire time the CF card is out of the camera!

Very annoying.

I think it's safe to say that Canon thoroughly botched the dual card reader in the the 5d3.  But every camera has to have an issue, seems a relatively small one.  Still, I'd expect they iron this out (as well as the slow SD card reader) in the next version.

As to the SD/CF debate, I'll weigh in just to keep things balanced.  I don't think CF cards will go away any time soon, but I do think they'll continue to get phased out.  The speed really isn't an issue anymore; SD cards are plenty fast enough for dSLRs.  At least, they are for the mega files coming out of the D810, perhaps if you're just holding the shutter on the 7D2 you will eventually see a difference.  But in real world shooting, for most people, speed isn't going to be an issue. 

I've never lost nor broke an SD card.  I don't know what these guys are doing to them, but I suspect this is more a theoretical issue than an actual one.  I've heard more about bent pins on CF cards than broken SD cards.  I find it funny that in most things making it smaller is considered a benefit that many pay more for, but suddenly with SD cards it's a liability.   I'm terrible about putting things back where it belongs while shooting; I'm always pulling out triggers and lens caps out of various pockets.  But I've never lost a card that I know of.  I have a couple old cards bouncing around in my "ashtray" in my car, uncovered, that still work fine.  Which brings me to the real reason why I use SD cards: because my laptop, my desktop, my work computer, my tablets, and even my car have an SD card reader.  They're convenient. 

Skirball wrote:

I think it's safe to say that Canon thoroughly botched the dual card reader in the the 5d3.  But every camera has to have an issue, seems a relatively small one.  Still, I'd expect they iron this out (as well as the slow SD card reader) in the next version.

The 5D3 hasn't had a firmware update in more than a year, so it's not like they haven't had time to get it right. But yeah, it's not an "A" issue.

I hadn't heard about the SD card reader issue. How does that one manifest itself?

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I think it's safe to say that Canon thoroughly botched the dual card reader in the the 5d3.  But every camera has to have an issue, seems a relatively small one.  Still, I'd expect they iron this out (as well as the slow SD card reader) in the next version.

The 5D3 hasn't had a firmware update in more than a year, so it's not like they haven't had time to get it right. But yeah, it's not an "A" issue.

I hadn't heard about the SD card reader issue. How does that one manifest itself?

I should add a caveat that I haven't followed the issue closely, as I don't have a 5d3.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it wrong, but the gist of it as I know is:

For some reason, unbeknownst to everyone outside of Canon, they stuck in a non-UHS-I card reader.  That is, it has a slow SD card reader, the technology of which is rather old.  So, if you're writing to both slots for redundancy it can only go as the slowest reader, slowing down your CF card write speed.  I doubt they can fix it via firmware.

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I should add a caveat that I haven't followed the issue closely, as I don't have a 5d3.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it wrong, but the gist of it as I know is:

For some reason, unbeknownst to everyone outside of Canon, they stuck in a non-UHS-I card reader.  That is, it has a slow SD card reader, the technology of which is rather old.  So, if you're writing to both slots for redundancy it can only go as the slowest reader, slowing down your CF card write speed.  I doubt they can fix it via firmware.

Presumably the reason would have to be that they considered the SD slot to be a gimmicky add-on that serious photographers probably wouldn't use. But that just makes their failure to fix the other problem - the camera not remembering which card it's supposed to use - all the more surprising.

Bob
Announcements