cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying camera online

Suzanne
Apprentice
Is there a way to know if a canon camera is US made? If there is a US warranty, is the camera definitely US made?
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What model are you wanting?  Currently there are no Canon cameras made in the USA.  If you are asking how to know if the camera is a Canon USA import because of the warranty, the best answer is to buy from one of the more relaible stores like...

B&H  <--- click here, or

Adorama  <--- click here and contact Helen Oster.

They are clearly marked.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

All cameras are made overseas.  The difference is the bodies sold as "USA" have been imported by Canon.  Cameras marked as "Imports" are NOT imported by Canon... these are imported by 3rd parties.  These are considered "gray market" cameras.  Canon does not warrant nor service gray market products.

A "USA" camera will have a USA/Canada warranty card in the box with a serial number pre-printed on it which matches the serial number of the camera body.  

An "authorized" Canon dealer should be honest about whether the camera you are buying is a "USA" vs. "Import" camera.  

Canon maintains a current list of authorized dealers.  You can find it here:  http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

Avoid buying from anyone not on that list.  Also make sure you are clear with your dealer that you want the "USA" version which comes backed by Canon factory warranty and service.  There are authorized dealers which also sell "Import" cameras which are NOT backed by Canon factory warranty and service (even though they are authorized stores). 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your responses. I thought the warranty card was probably the key, but I hadn't thought to double check to make sure serial numbers match.
Can I assume this information applies to Canon lenses as well?
Thanks again.

Yes - this also applies to lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

yessicandrea
Contributor

I will buying camera online soon,

Announcements