cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1D Mark III Camera Possible purchase

flyguy4
Apprentice

Can I use Tokina DX lens on 1D-Mark III camera since it is not a full frame camera?

I have a 50D right now and have been using Tokina 11-16 mm F 2.8 Pro DX lens. I thinking about buying the 1D Mark III camera. Since 1D Mark III is not a full frame camera, can I use my 11-16 mm lens on it?

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

You may be able to use it but you won't get real good results until near the narrow end (14-16 mm) but that depends on whether any part of the lens would protrude into the mirror box. Canon added a part to their EF-S lenses that does but my experience (limited) with Tamron & Sigma lenses shows no such part. Tokina isn't sold in Canada anymore so I haven't use that brand since my film days.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have been searching the internet this weekend, and have found numerous articles, posts, and blog entries discussing the use of the Tokina 11-16mm lens on 1D-series APS-H (1.3x-crop) Canon cameras, as well as full-frame 5D-series cameras. The mirror does not hit the rear of the lens, and this lens is usable at the wide end.

5D users report being able to shoot at 16mm with no black corners. 1D-series users can go several mm wider.

Being able to shoot at 14mm to 16mm on a 1D Mark II N, has prompted me to consider the Tokina 11-16mm, especially the II version, which reportedly has a gasket at the mount, for a bit of mosture resistance.

As the OP owns the Tokina, already, it seems advisable to try it.

In my case, I have to determine whether it is worth it, to buy the Tokina, to use on a 1D Mark II N, when I already have the excellent Canon EF-S 10-22mm, and 7D/40D bodies on which to use it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Right off I will state this is my personal opinion.

Comparing the EOS 1D Mk III to a EOS 50D is about like comparing Moon light to Sun light.

Yeah, they are both light but very different light.

While the 50D is a very nice camera it is not even in the same zip code as the 1D Mk III.

The Mk III is a full blown professional camera. It is built like a Sherman tank.

Now since we have established that, Tokina “DX” lenses are not designed to be used on it. Whether they mount or not is not the issue. With the best lenses the Mk III will produce wonderful photos but it deserves glass that is in the same league as it is.

You will not regret your purchase of the work horse of the industry a 1 series camera. And right now Mk III's are a real buy for someone that wants to make this next step.

Beware once you go 1 series you will never go back!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Many people report getting good results with the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 on a Canon 1D series camera. 

Check out this link:   11-16 on 1D Mk III

Mike Sowsun
Announcements