cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which bodies have Anti-flicker

anelson
Apprentice

Which Canon bodies have anti-flicker? I own the 7Dii with anyi-flicker. I also own the 1DX. I was dissappointed to learn that the 1DX does not have anti-flicker, which I use on my 7dii for night time high school sports.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@anelson wrote:

Which Canon bodies have anti-flicker? I own the 7Dii with anyi-flicker. I also own the 1DX. I was dissappointed to learn that the 1DX does not have anti-flicker, which I use on my 7dii for night time high school sports.

Some of them.  Mostly the more recent models.  The specs should tell you which camera bodies have it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

anelson
Apprentice

I am specifically interested in which 1DX and 5D models might have anti-flicker. I know that the original 1DX does not. 

I just went to the Canon support site and got the 5D Mark IV manual. I then did a search for "flicker"

Untitled.jpg

I will leave the rest for the interested reader.

@anelson wrote:

I am specifically interested in which 1DX and 5D models might have anti-flicker. I know that the original 1DX does not. 

Pretty much any camera that has a list price over $1000 should have anti-flicker compensation. 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-came... 

You can take advantage of kvbarkley's idea.  Pick a camera you are interested in, go to the specifications tab.  Do a search for the word "flicker".  BTW, I am pretty certain that the 1Dx Mark II has anti-flicker compensation, too.

I looked in the specifications, but could not find it, that is why I went to the manual.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I looked in the specifications, but could not find it, that is why I went to the manual.

I only checked one camera body.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-1dx-mark-iii 

A search for "flicker" turned up two hits.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Anti-flicker was added to the 1DX series with the Mark II, I shoot with 1DX, 1DX II, and 1DX III bodies. 

I shoot a lot of high school sports both gym and field (football and soccer) and I leave anti-flicker off on the II and III because it is incredibly rare for me even with high speed continuous drive to capture an image where flicker is an issue and having it on changes shutter lag and frame rate.  Newer high efficiency LED drivers used for high intensity lighting are of the PWM type so the flicker rate will vary and none of the anti-flicker in camera camera systems will work because the flicker rate varies and these systems are designed to work with the older HPS and other gaseous type high intensity lighting that is tied to either the 50hz (most of the world) or 60hz (US much of N. America) line frequency resulting in a regular flicker rate of either 100 or 120 times per second.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements