cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which DSLR would be best for me

erindelaney
Apprentice

Hello!

I have been out of the photography world for a few years, and recently have been missing it a lot. I am looking to purchase a new camera soon because I will be traveling abroad and want a camera to document my trip.

I previously owned a Canon Rebel EOS T1i and loved it! The images came out amazing. I am no longer in possession of this camera but am looking into buying a similar DSLR. (Looking to buy a used camera, and one that is under $1000)

I will mostly be using it for outdoor and adventure/wilderness photography. 

Im sure this is still a great camera, and maybe will repurchase it but I wanted to get some feedback because I know there may be a better DSLR on the market. Ive been trying to do research but am still undecided and was hoping someone who may know more than me could give me some advice, or maybe where I should start my search.  

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority
You need to save enough money in purchasing the camera to get good lenses. The lenses are more important than the camera and if you can swing it you will be better off having at least one lens better than the kit lenses.

Your T1i had a 15mp sensor. Starting with the T2i and carrying on through the current T5i (and 60d and 7d1) they have been using basically the same 18mp sensor. That makes a used T2i the ultimate bargain, since it's sensor is still basically current in the Rebel line, though a used T3i might be just as cheap if you find someone wanting to sell quick.

Craigslist is a good place to look as a buyer because the sellers don't usually get all that many takers. eBay seems the worst because it seems more like a seller's market. Also look at Canon refurbished cameras.

Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

+1 to pretty much everything Scotty said.  Though I would go for a T3i over a T2i.  Here's one from Canon, refurbished, with a 1 year warranty for $400.  But Canon periodically offers discounts on their refurbs, and the holiday season is around the corner, so I suspect you could save more by waiting a little bit.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-rebel-t3i-...

You can get it in a kit with the 18-55 lens for about $80 more, but I really wouldn't recommend it.  That $80 would be better spent on a decent lens.  If they offer it in a kit with the 18-135 it might be worth considering.  But if you get a T3i for around $350 then it gives you a decent amount of money for a lens or two.

The T5i has better autofocus and some extra features.  But I really think that money is better spent on a lens.

For your lens you might consider a used EF-s 17-55 f/2.8. Should be find-able for $600 to $650 used. Wide enough for landscape, better IQ than the 18-55 variable aperture kit lenses, bright constant aperture.

You might instead pick up the 18-135 lens but then grab a prime to go with it (all used).
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@Skirball wrote:

+1 to pretty much everything Scotty said.  Though I would go for a T3i over a T2i.  Here's one from Canon, refurbished, with a 1 year warranty for $400.  But Canon periodically offers discounts on their refurbs, and the holiday season is around the corner, so I suspect you could save more by waiting a little bit.

I believe the T3i has a flip-out screen, while the T2i does not. That's probably an advantage in a new camera, but could be a drawback in a used one, because it's something that could be easily damaged by careless treatment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... something that could be easily damaged by careless treatment."

Buying amy used Rebel should be done carefully and checked out throughly.  It could be a find or it could be a bust and reapiring one may not be cosy effective.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

No matter what Rebel you decide on, make sure you try it first or at least have return rights, if it doesn't work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements