cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Speed equivalent on video mode

angeluzao
Apprentice

Hello, I feel like this is a dumb question, but what would be the equivalent to shutter speed 1/50 on video mode? on the manual it says 1/4000=1/30 for 24fps but idk, something doesn't feel right, can somebody help? thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

A common setting to use in the video world is having a 180 degree shutter angle.  Higher end camcorders and probably most/all of the cinema cameras will allow users to set a shutter angle setting.  When using stills cameras or less expensive video gear, you'll directly set the shutter speed.

For the 180 guideline, this means that for 24 fps, shutter is 1/48.  For 30 fps, shutter is 1/60, etc.

Having said that, you can definitely adjust the shutter for a specific look you're after.   But of course, there's a certain point where you cannot slow the shutter any more.  For example, for 30 fps, the slowest shutter you could use would be 1/30s.  But you could then use any value faster than that.

Personally, when doing video work, I do like 24 fps (23.976 on my gear that lacks true 24) and set the shutter to 1/48.  I do use a dedicated camcorder.  If your stills camera lacks an exact shutter value of 1/48, you'd use the nearest (and faster) value.  In this case, 1/50s.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi there,

I agree with the information above, just wanted to add that I believe you may be reading a typo in that manual. When shooting at 24 frames per second your available shutter speeds range from 1/30 - 1/4000 since you cannot record 24 frames with an exposure slower than 1/24 (360 degree shutter angle), not that there is an equivalency in exposure values. The movie mode and stills shooting mode both abide by the same rules for exposure.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements