cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a new body. Need advice to decide specific set up.

Noahm107
Contributor

I have a Rebel XS with a 18-55mm EF-S kit lens, 75-300mm EF lens, and a 50mm 1.8. The camera I've had in mind was the T6i. However a family friend of mine would sell a Canon 5d Mk ii and 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens to me for $1,000. One negative thing about that is he is a professional photographer so I'm assuming the shutter count would be high (I will be getting a specific number) That is really pushing my budget and is the highest I would like to spend. But now after looking at the 5d mk ii, I started looking into the 7d mk i and ii. So my options would be:

• Buy the 5d mk ii with lens and be set for a while.
  • Buy the t6i/7d mk i and save a little more up to buy a nice lens.
  • Buy the 7d mk ii for around $1,000 and be stuck with my current lens' for a while until I can afford a nicer lens.

If you have a different set up for around $1,000 I will consider that as well. As of now I am taking photos recreationally, however in the fall I plan on doing some senior photos for friends and with time I'd like to potentially shoot weddings, and other type of portraits. I also would like to be able to do some video work, which is why I am considering the t6i, for the continuous autofocus and articulating screen. Thanks for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Noahm107 wrote:

I have a Rebel XS with a 18-55mm EF-S kit lens, 75-300mm EF lens, and a 50mm 1.8. The camera I've had in mind was the T6i. However a family friend of mine would sell a Canon 5d Mk ii and 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens to me for $1,000. One negative thing about that is he is a professional photographer so I'm assuming the shutter count would be high (I will be getting a specific number) That is really pushing my budget and is the highest I would like to spend. But now after looking at the 5d mk ii, I started looking into the 7d mk i and ii. So my options would be:

• Buy the 5d mk ii with lens and be set for a while.
  • Buy the t6i/7d mk i and save a little more up to buy a nice lens.
  • Buy the 7d mk ii for around $1,000 and be stuck with my current lens' for a while until I can afford a nicer lens.

If you have a different set up for around $1,000 I will consider that as well. As of now I am taking photos recreationally, however in the fall I plan on doing some senior photos for friends and with time I'd like to potentially shoot weddings, and other type of portraits. I also would like to be able to do some video work, which is why I am considering the t6i, for the continuous autofocus and articulating screen. Thanks for your help!

There are others who will disagree, but, in my opinion you are better off putting more money into your lenses, than your body. So my recomendation would be your T6i or 70D (not 7D) option. 

EOS 70D EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens Kit Refurbished $729

Edit: and $1000 seems high for a 5D Mk II

Noahm107
Contributor
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify he would be selling me the 5d Mk II and a 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens (around $600) both for $1,000. Really only considering the 5D Mk II cause it seems like a great deal.

@Noahm107 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify he would be selling me the 5d Mk II and a 24-105mm f/4L IS USM L Lens (around $600) both for $1,000. Really only considering the 5D Mk II cause it seems like a great deal.

Buy what meets your needs, not because it is a great deal.

The 70D or T6i would be better for video. 

That's also the reason to choose them over the classic 7D,

@Noahm107 wrote:

What Tom is telling you, and I think I agree, is that it's not as good a deal as you think it is. The 24-105 lens is very good but doesn't hold its value very well, because it can often be found as a refurb or refugee from a broken-up kit. The 5D2 was a good camera in its day, but is old technology now. There's a lot of difference between it and a 5D3. And rumors abound of a forthcoming 5D4. As you yourself pointed out, a professional is apt to have given his equipment fairly hard use, even if he cares for it well. Offer him $650 for the pair; and if he doesn't take it, walk.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'd probably pay as much as $750 for the 5d2 and 24-105 but yeah. 

Dont get the old 7d. 

A T6i would be nice.  

There is no reason to blow the whole budget on a 7d2 if you can't get any more lenses. Weddings don't need armored bodies or weather sealing or super fast sports tracking autofocus. You would, however want bright fast big aperture lenses for low light and high ISO.  Save some money for lenses. 

For weddings, for low light, on your budget, look into the possibility of a used full frame 6d rather than a crop body.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"For weddings, for low light, on your budget, look into the possibility of a used full frame 6d rather than a crop body." 

I would have to agree with this sentiment about a 6D full frame body.  A 6D is a great body for non-action shots, such as wedding stills, and the like.  I have had moderate success using it for action shots.  Maybe, I just need more practice at it.

I would not be as inclined to buy a 6D if shooting video was play a significant role in how I used the camera.  The 6D does not auto focus while shooting video, which some other models can do.  Seeing how I use manually focused, cinema lenses when I do shoot the rare video, the lack of video mode AF is a moot point.

Be aware that DSLRs are not camcorders, and have a number of limitations that many people find disturbing.  File size.

Video_Shooting_Time_Limit.PNG

I have highlighted one of the most common settings that people use for shooting video.  You will run up against the 4GB file size limit in just over 5 minutes of shooting.  Many DSLRs tend to heat up, and shut themselves down, during extended video mode use.  You may wish to consider an actual camcorder for longer footage at that resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the chart! I don't really plan on shooting videos of great length but that is good to note.

@ScottyP wrote:

I'd probably pay as much as $750 for the 5d2 and 24-105 but yeah. 

Dont get the old 7d. 

A T6i would be nice.  

There is no reason to blow the whole budget on a 7d2 if you can't get any more lenses. Weddings don't need armored bodies or weather sealing or super fast sports tracking autofocus. You would, however want bright fast big aperture lenses for low light and high ISO.  Save some money for lenses. 

For weddings, for low light, on your budget, look into the possibility of a used full frame 6d rather than a crop body.

I just feel obliged to put in a good word for the "old" 7D. I have two of them; and while they're not a 5D Mark III or a 7D Mark II, they still do the job. When I photograph an indoor event with two cameras, a 7D (17-55mm f/2.8 IS) and a 5D3 (70-200mm f/2.8L IS II), the resulting IQ is pretty much indistinguishable. If you find a well-cared-for 7D at a really good price, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. I believe I'd rank it above a 5D2 for most applications.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you, how much would you say a good price is for the 7D?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements