cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raw format convertor

roshaanzafar487
Apprentice
Someone can help me please.. I made photos In cannon camera.. which are in raw format.. they don't display In my laptop.. someone can help me.. how to convert them into jpg or jpeg format. I'll be thankful
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...they don't display In my laptop..."

You need to update your laptop.  

"...how to convert them into jpg"

For this you do need a post editor.  DPP form Canon is free and there are others that are also free.  But the best editors are Lightroom or Photoshop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

roshaanzafar487
Apprentice
5 REPLIES 5

There are several photo editors that can do it. Start by trying Digital Photo Professional, which comes free with any serious Canon camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...they don't display In my laptop..."

You need to update your laptop.  

"...how to convert them into jpg"

For this you do need a post editor.  DPP form Canon is free and there are others that are also free.  But the best editors are Lightroom or Photoshop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Don't know which camera you have, but with the 60D you can do some limited editing and cropping in camera and save the results as jpegs. It's a little clumsy and the camera's LCD isn't the best way to adjust colors and contrast but it might get you out of a jam. Also you can probably set your camera to shoot RAW+jpeg if you just need a way to quickly download images to preview on your laptop.

You might also consider adding Irfanview image viewer to your laptop. It's free to download and will open most RAW files but I don't think it will do any RAW conversions or editing.

roshaanzafar487
Apprentice
Thanks a lot

ScottyP
Authority
But remember the last thing you want to do would be to just convert the RAW image directly into a JPEG without doing some post processing. Raw images are very dull looking because they were not tweaked in camera to boost the saturation and sharpness and contrast etc. etc. raw files allow you freedom to edit; that is their benefit. A JPEG file has had some of its data discarded in camera so the JPEG out of the camera cannot be adjusted as much as a raw file can. If you miss that opportunity to process the image in raw and simply create a very dull jpg file from your raw file, you will be forced to do heavy editing on a JPEG to make it look decent and it may not come out looking good. DPP will do it and lightroom is better.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements