cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, how do i develop into a regular habit?

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

I know many of you all are passionate and dedicated people. and it comes naturally to many to take shots..

it seems i never have time...

may i please get a few suggestions on getting enthusiatic and practice taking out my camera and going out... i have a good camera - 80d...

ANY suggestions is much appreciated.

thank you for your time...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

really appreciate your kind suggestions. Solid. i will try on implimenting a few. 

thanks you so much all of you again.

pl

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Its called Time Management.

Decide what things in your life are most important and organize your life accordingly.

It's likely that many of the people here who seem o have a lot of time for photography are retired - there's an extra 8 hours a day that folks who are still working don't have.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Shoot.  And shoot a lot.  Buy a couple lenses.  They further your experience.  Like a good WA and a tele for instance.

"it seems i never have time..."

If I remember correctly, we all have the same amount of time.  Decide on what you really want to do.  One thing for sure, take your camera with you everywhere.  It don't do you any good at home by itself.  I never go anywhere with out a camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz
Like a number of others here, I have a job, so I have to plan my photo sessions. Here's what you do. Schedule a Saturday or Sunday outing for photography, and pick a place to go. Where I live on the West Coast, we go to the tide pools, desert, mountains, sea shore, forest. You can also do street photography in the city, which I like. Amateur tip: old bus stations are great for photography. Show up real late, just hang out like you're waiting for someone. Then start shooting the old derelicts getting on and off the buses and hanging around. Just plan a place to go and take your camera. Good luck.

Thank you jrhoffman75 , ebiggs1, and John_SD

John, that sounds like a plan , hoffman - yes i have to realize that i am also a full time worker and am not retired

ebiggs - you don't go anywhere without your camera! - wow!

" I have a job, ..."

I am retired 13 years now but I have slowed down by just a little.  Not having a regular full time job doesn't help much. I am way more selective about the jobs I take on now.  So, it isn't a everyday grind for sure. Three hour job Saturday, off Sunday and a three or four hour job tonight.  Then, you can double that time in post.

One thing, however, if you don'y take your camera with you, you can't use it.  The opportunities are abundant.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I have a job, ..."

I am retired 13 years now but I have slowed down by just a little.  Not having a regular full time job doesn't help much. I am way more selective about the jobs I take on now.  So, it isn't a everyday grind for sure. Three hour job Saturday, off Sunday and a three or four hour job tonight.  Then, you can double that time in post.

One thing, however, if you don'y take your camera with you, you can't use it.  The opportunities are abundant.

God bless you on your retirement,and I agree about having a camera with you at all times, as opportunities are indeed plentiful. Unfortunately, I can't say I follow that good advice at this time, though at some point I will probably get either a RIcoh GR II or a Fujifilm X100T, as my interest in street photography continues to grow. Smaller cameras will allow me to more easily carry them around, especially downtown.

My street photography "hero" is Bruce Gilden. His work and subject matter are fantastic and appeal to me greatly. Hence, my efforts to seek out degenerates, creeps, weirdos, lowlifes, oddballs, down-and-outers and their soulmates. The bus station in San Diego is OK for this, but the ones in L.A. and downtown Vegas are a lot better. YMMV.  

"... I can't say I follow that good advice at this time,..."

Well I did have to have it for my job.  Might have given me more incentive to carry it.  Smiley Wink

I can understand the smaller cameras concept.  I have a G15 and a G1x.  When the big ones can't go one of them does.

The point is to use it.  That is the best teacher.

EB

Have a person or group to share your images with.

I noticed after my mom passed away last February that I wasn't taking even 1/4 the number of pictures I had been and I was waiting months to process shots. I realized I had been shooting lots of images of my kids (her grandkids) and she and my dad live far away, so the regular photos were a reason to get out and shoot, and the need to keep shots coming kind of motivated us to get out of the house too. 

A photo site site where you post for group feedback is a good motivator as well as a good way to get useful feedback to improve your craft. Check out the British site Cambridge in Colour where they have several ongoing photo contests that are fun. I think a lot of the voting is based on buddies, so it is sometimes hard to understand how some images beat others that seem better, but things are very positive. 

Facebook is a good place to share are with friends. 

Does anyone else know of other welcoming photo sharing communities they would recommend?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

dudeinwashingto
Enthusiast

thank you

Announcements