cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help choosing between a 6d and a 7dmark2

aratari10
Apprentice

Hello, I have been shooting for 3 years beginning with a t3i and now use a 60d.

I do photography of events and general news stories for three different newspapers which typically consists of gala events, festivals, and then other small events at restaurants, book stores, and places of business.

I also shoot real estate in which i typically use my 17-40 l lens and my 10mm-16mm which has not so good distortion on corners. I initially wanted to go full frame until i found out my 10mm lenses will not fit.

My other glass includes a 50m 1.4 and an 85mm 1.8 I know only 3 of my lenses will fit on the 6d while all four will work on the 7d mark 2. I also shoot sports often and do weddings here and there.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck based on this info? Things that i am having trouble with the 60d is low iso performance and soft focusing occasionally. What would you do if you were me please.

15 REPLIES 15

"The 6D will perform better if you need to use high ISO and want to keep noise levels low."

Tim,

This is the single point of detraction about which is the best camera.  And this is not fully answered, yet, and will be judged differently by different photographers.  Never-the-less, the 7D Mk II is the better canera, even giving up this one spec which I am not ready to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The 6D will perform better if you need to use high ISO and want to keep noise levels low."

Tim,

This is the single point of detraction about which is the best camera.  And this is not fully answered, yet, and will be judged differently by different photographers.  Never-the-less, the 7D Mk II is the better canera, even giving up this one spec which I am not ready to.

About the same number of pixels on a sensor that's more than half again as big. If the high-ISO edge doesn't go to the 6D, then Canon's designers aren't nearly as smart as most of us think they are.

There is, after all, a reason why FF cameras have survived this long, despite being bigger, heavier, and more expensive than comparably-featured APS-C cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Which may be trune if the sensor was the only componet to be considered.  It is not.  A camera is the sum of it parts and specs and not a single one.  While I am willing to give the 6D the highest ISO as a possible advantage, it would be small.  And I am not ready to even do that right now.  I need to see more from the 7D Mk II.  I am giving great thought about buying one although I thought I never would use anything except 1 series cameras at this point.

My reccommendation is and remains the 7D Mk II is the buy over the 6D.

All we need now is the guy that claims you can't shoot landscapes with a crop camera!  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Which may be trune if the sensor was the only componet to be considered.  It is not.  A camera is the sum of it parts and specs and not a single one.  While I am willing to give the 6D the highest ISO as a possible advantage, it would be small.  And I am not ready to even do that right now.  I need to see more from the 7D Mk II.  I am giving great thought about buying one although I thought I never would use anything except 1 series cameras at this point.

I can see the headline now: ERNIE BIGGS ABANDONS THE 1 SERIES; CANON STOCK FALLS 13%!   Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Oh, no, Robert say it ain't so! Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

I do consider myself lucky to be in a position to play with all this stuff.  It is far more fun than making a living wiht it. Smiley Very Happy

At Hallmark we had every piece of Nikon equipment made.  Sometime I think I am trying to duplicate that here with Canon stuff.  I suspect Miss Elizabeth would concur.Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

While I am willing to give the 6D the highest ISO as a possible advantage, it would be small.  And I am not ready to even do that right now.  I need to see more from the 7D Mk II.

Let us know when you get done with that comparison.   Smiley Indifferent

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements