cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high speed continuous

glanceyr
Apprentice

Can't shoot "high speed continuous" when using viewfinder in av mode, only in live view, PLEASE HELP !

Canon 60D

Just take pictures for a hobby and trying to teach myself

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@glanceyr wrote:

Can't shoot "high speed continuous" when using viewfinder in av mode, only in live view, PLEASE HELP !

Canon 60D

Thanks

Remember that you can't use the viewfinder unless the camera has time to restore the mirror to its normal position between frames. That's not true in live view, because the image on the screen is generated from what the sensor sees.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ok, thanks for the help, so what mode can I use  high speed continuous on besides the the preset modes. is there a setting that Im missing. I have tried M, AV, TV and all won't shoot high speed by not using the live view.  

@glanceyr wrote:

Ok, thanks for the help, so what mode can I use  high speed continuous on besides the the preset modes. is there a setting that Im missing. I have tried M, AV, TV and all won't shoot high speed by not using the live view.  

You probably can't use high speed continuous with the viewfinder in any mode in which you could set (either directly or indirectly) a shutter speed so slow that the mirror would have to stay out of the way between frames. Because then the viewfinder wouldn't be able to function. Any of the modes you named would fit that criterion.

What does the user manual say on this question?

Bob

ok, after searching more on the internet I found the the mirror lock up was on, disable that and it works fine, thank you for all your help !

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@glanceyr wrote:

Canon 60D

Thanks

Remember that you can't use the viewfinder unless the camera has time to restore the mirror to its normal position between frames. That's not true in live view, because the image on the screen is generated from what the sensor sees.

What do you mean?  Cameras aren't faster in Live View than they are in regular shooting modes...  to the best of my knowledge.  You can get the 5.3 fps or whatever it is for the 60D using the viewfinder.

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@glanceyr wrote:

Canon 60D

Thanks

What do you mean?  Cameras aren't faster in Live View than they are in regular shooting modes...  to the best of my knowledge.  You can get the 5.3 fps or whatever it is for the 60D using the viewfinder.

It turned out not to apply to the OP's situation, but here's the point I was trying to make:

In live view the only limitation on the shutter speed is that it can't be slow enough to exceed a single exposure's share of the frame rate. But with the viewfinder, there's the additional constraint that the camera has to get the mirror down for some period of time between exposures, or your eye won't see anything. I speculated (wrongly, it would seem) that the OP might have been using a shutter speed too slow to allow the mirror to get down between exposures.

Alas, that's what comes of trying to diagnose a problem on a camera about which I know nothing. (Indeed, I'm not sure I've ever even seen a 60D.)  Smiley Frustrated

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

In live view the only limitation on the shutter speed is that it can't be slow enough to exceed a single exposure's share of the frame rate.

Are you sure about that?  Admittedly, I rarely use LiveView, so I’m no expert in it. But I would be very surprised to find that you could take full sized photos in LV at a faster rate than the cameras spec.   For no other reason than it would probably be well known that you could get faster FPS by using LV.

I could see how it should theoretically be able to shoot faster in LV (without refocusing in-between shots), but I don’t know how much. I’d think it depends on how slow the mirror is compared to the shutter. But again, that’s without refocusing. So at that point you might as well just use an iPhone 🙂

@Skirball wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

In live view the only limitation on the shutter speed is that it can't be slow enough to exceed a single exposure's share of the frame rate.

Are you sure about that?  Admittedly, I rarely use LiveView, so I’m no expert in it. But I would be very surprised to find that you could take full sized photos in LV at a faster rate than the cameras spec.   For no other reason than it would probably be well known that you could get faster FPS by using LV.

I could see how it should theoretically be able to shoot faster in LV (without refocusing in-between shots), but I don’t know how much. I’d think it depends on how slow the mirror is compared to the shutter. But again, that’s without refocusing. So at that point you might as well just use an iPhone 🙂

At the risk of quibbling, I'll try one more time to express what I meant.

If you're firing off a continuous stream of shots with a single camera, those shots can't overlap each other. That places a theoretical limit on the shutter speed, but it's farily easy to stay within. (E.g. at 10 frames/sec, you can't expose longer than 1/10 sec.) The camera may place more stringent limits, but it can't do better than the theoretical limit. And in live view, it doesn't matter how close it gets.

But if you're using the viewfinder, you not only have to allow time for each exposure; you have to also allow time for the mirror to operate between exposures. Otherwise the viewfinder goes blind. So maybe instead of 1/10 of a second, the practical limit would be 1/100 of a second. So if you called for, say, 1/60 sec, the camera wouldn't be able to do it. Either it would refuse outright, or it wouldn't show you anything in the viewfinder. And not seeing anything in the viewfinder is what the OP reported.

None of this assumes anything about refocusing or the necessity thereof.

Bob
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements