cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tie Aperture and Speed in Manual Mode - EOS 6D

FPP
Apprentice

Hello:

This is about the Manual exposure mode in EOS 6D.  Sometimes it would be convenient to automatically adjust the aperture when the speed is changed and vice versa.  For example, I set the aperture and speed, take a shot, and than decide I need more depth of field, so I dial the aperture up 1.5 stops.  I'd like the camera to automatically dial the speed down by the same amount,  In other words, I'd like the camera to keep the same EV (and keep the ISO setting).

I know this feaure is available in Program mode, but is it possible in Manual mode?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

No.  Manual is manual; in that mode, it is up to you to control all settings.

Sounds like you should be using Av (aperture priority) mode.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky:

Av is not ideal:  it will set the speed differently for each shot.   Thank you for your reply.

--
OR

"...it will set the speed differently for each shot."

Correct! If you change the aperture (manually in Av mode) you must change the SS by the equivalent amount to maintain the same exposure.  Whether you do it manually or the camera does automatically is immaterial.  If you want the exact same exposure that is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It sounds like you want ultimate control.  Thus, you'll need to use manual mode.  Just get familiar with the exposure triangle so that if you need to adjust aperature, you can adjust shutter and/or ISO to compensate.

Also ensure that your camera settings will all be using the same increments (e.g. 1/3 stop).   Makes things much easier when doing compensation adjustments.

--
Ricky

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sounds like Av mode.  You set an aperture in Av.  The camera sets the SS.  You decide you want a 1 and a half stop change and the camera now selcts that corrected SS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi EB:

Thank you for your reply.  Just like I mentiond to Ricky,  Av is not reliablale:  it will set the speed differently for each shot.

Even old clanky mechanical Hasselblad has the feature I am asking about.  Maybe Canon will eventually add it to the prosumer cameras.

Cheers,
OR.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@FPP wrote:

Hello:

This is about the Manual exposure mode in EOS 6D.  Sometimes it would be convenient to automatically adjust the aperture when the speed is changed and vice versa.  For example, I set the aperture and speed, take a shot, and than decide I need more depth of field, so I dial the aperture up 1.5 stops.  I'd like the camera to automatically dial the speed down by the same amount,  In other words, I'd like the camera to keep the same EV (and keep the ISO setting).

I know this feaure is available in Program mode, but is it possible in Manual mode?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

That type of functionality is not available in M mode.  The camera can be set so that it can control all of the legs of Exposure Triangle, any two legs, any one, or none.

As you have already noted, the behavior that you wish to have is available in P mode.  Use that mode, and dial in an ISO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, @

They don't.  Your only options are to use full manual where you control all aspects of the exposure triangle.  Or, use another mode where one or more aspects are controlled for you.

--
Ricky

Announcements